1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another day with our new Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MumsHens, Oct 3, 2015.

1. MumsHens

MumsHens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    After writing in the New Member Introductions ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...e-any-chickens-of-my-own-really#post_15898498 ) the other day about our new venture in acquiring, for my Mum, 2 Hybrid Chickens and 2 Bantams I thought I would continue my ramblings or blog.

Today is Saturday. I was up early ironing my Fathers clothes to take to him when I burnt a large hole in the leg of his trousers. They have gone in the bin and I have ordered some more to replace them. After finishing the ironing I opened the mail to find that I have my first summons for speeding ever, and I am not young! I am not the fastest of drivers but had driven through a 30 mph area at 45mph, I know where it was as I remember looking at my sat nav which stated 50mph and thinking why does the sign say 30! I also know when it was, it was when I went to fetch the chickens! If I add the fine onto the cost of the chickens I think that they are now four very expensive birds.

I went up to my Mums to see them all later and took them some treats, meal worms. I put a few in my hand (dries ones) and held them out. Both Blue-Belle and Martha Cecilia came up and took them from my hand so I think they must really like them. I sprinkled a few on the ground for the other two.

While cleaning them out and giving them some water with Cider apple vinegar in I noticed that our Silver Laced Wyandotte Bantam, which has no firm name yet but may be going to be called Minstrel) was trying her best to fly over the hen fencing. I had hoped that this wouldn't happen because I realised that I had to clip one of her wings to prevent her disappearing into the field at the back and getting picked up by a predator. I spent a couple of minutes trying to catch her and in the end rounded them all up into the coop. I don't know if the poor Bantam was as scared as I was but I just hated cutting the feathers. I don't think I hurt her but she is so pretty it seemed such a shame to mar her lovely markings in that way. I don't know how long they take to grow back but I am not looking forward to doing it again.

Incidentally, the Columbine, Ginger-Spice, loved the cider apple vinegar water so she was one happy customer. Today we had yet another egg, the second one in the nest box. We have established that Blue-Belle is laying one on the coop floor every other day but which one is laying a lovely little brown egg in the nest box, we don't know. My Mum thinks it is Martha Cecilia. Tomorrow I will approach each one to see which if any of them squat down like Blue-Belle does. We will find out.

I will leave you with a picture of our/Mums Silver Lace Wyandotte Bantam in all her glory, before I clipped her wing.

[​IMG]

2. IceAngel

IceAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    It's apparent you really love your birds.....and what lovely specimens they are. Great that you found an enjoyable hobby.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    How is your flock doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by