another death. more tears.

farmergal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
I woke up to a dead chick this morning. She was the one who had a broken leg, and I spent the last four days doing everything I could to help her... including leg splint, yogurt, separate space from the other chicks, extra warmth, and little tiny food and water bowls (bottlecaps actually) so she could reach them without standing up (but not drown).

Yesterday she wouldn't eat or drink, even if I dipped her beak in vitamin water. She was sleeping when I went in to check on her at 1 a.m., but dead in the morning.... with her tiny wings extended out like an angel's. It was so sad. (She was 1 week old, but more the size of a day-old chick... barely half the size of her sisters, sooo tiny.)

I feel so awful. Like I'm a jinx around chickens. What's a girl to do??
sad.png

I know it's hard to lose one of your babies. Believe me, we've all been there and wished we could have done something more to help them. Unfortunately, it's a normal part of life for some to survive and others not. I'm sure you did what you could, and most likely there was something more wrong with the chick than just it's leg, considering it's size. You're not a jinx!!!! Your chick was lucky to have you to care for it. Now go and love the rest of your flock!!!!
hugs.gif

Lori

It seems like their tiny size almost makes it harder to lose them... I always root that much harder for the little ones, one of my favorite chicks from the last batch was a runt EE. (She knows it, too. Now she's always chasing the biggest EE around to show her that size doesn't matter, lol.)
I have one more runt that I'm worried about, she's a little on the skinny side, but spunky and is growing and eating fine. I'm crossing my fingers and praying for her...

Back
Top Bottom