Another dewormer thread specifically safeguard for cattle

Jimmybeam01

Songster
7 Years
Dec 13, 2016
Boyd, Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I spent a long long time researching. Last night and as most people say, there is a lot of conflicting info. One saying 3cc per gallon of water of safeguard cattle dewormer. I find this to be extremely ineffective. Large birds I dose 1 cc per.

Since it’s such a chore I need to learn what a true working dosage is, I got 80 birds to deworm and I must do a thorough dewormer via water. I also have ivermectin for other worming that safeguard will not do. But we will cross that bridge when we get there

See if you can get ahold of Levamisole for your birds, it's mixed in water. I've been having a tough time finding it.
I dont recommend Ivermectin. I forgot to add that it's hard to overdose with Safeguard or Valbazen.

Consider using Valbazen. I recommend giving it orally to each bird individually, 1/2ml for standard size birds, 3/4ml to 1ml for heavy breeds using a syringe without needle. That way you KNOW they got properly wormed. Redose in 10-14 days.
Putting a wormer in water is guesswork.
You dont know if a bird will drink it, or drink enough of it to be effective. sick wormy birds wont drink at all.

There's nothing saying that you have to worm all your birds in one day. You can dose them by breed, for example; RIR's & BR's the first day, BO's and EE's the second day etc...
You can worm them by the amount of birds by coops. Two coops the first day, 2 coops the third day etc....

If they are all one breed such as red sex-links; use a black magic marker and make a visible mark on both sides of their comb. You should worm and mark half your flock in this manner. That way you'll know to reworm them in 10-14 days.

The next day, worm the birds without the marked combs, reworm them in 10-14 days. Done.

See if you can get ahold of Levamisole for your birds, it's mixed in water. I've been having a tough time finding it.
I dont recommend Ivermectin. I forgot to add that it's hard to overdose with Safeguard or Valbazen.

Consider using Valbazen. I recommend giving it orally to each bird individually, 1/2ml for standard size birds, 3/4ml to 1ml for heavy breeds using a syringe without needle. That way you KNOW they got properly wormed. Redose in 10-14 days.
Putting a wormer in water is guesswork.
You dont know if a bird will drink it, or drink enough of it to be effective. sick wormy birds wont drink at all.

There's nothing saying that you have to worm all your birds in one day. You can dose them by breed, for example; RIR's & BR's the first day, BO's and EE's the second day etc...
You can worm them by the amount of birds by coops. Two coops the first day, 2 coops the third day etc....

If they are all one breed such as red sex-links; use a black magic marker and make a visible mark on both sides of their comb. You should worm and mark half your flock in this manner. That way you'll know to reworm them in 10-14 days.

The next day, worm the birds without the marked combs, reworm them in 10-14 days. Done.
Excellent advice! I forgot that as well about the OD with those. I do have leg bands, I could band each one I do as I can then final worming remove one by one as I do them.

Back
Top Bottom