Another dog attack

WyoChickenMamma

Songster
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
So I knew it was only a matter of time before my neighbors dog that is let to run free would visit my girls. She has come on my property several times since the chickens came. I have always been alerted by my dogs and then I can yell at her and she runs away. Well yesterday she made it all the way down into our hen yard. I heard the chickens causing a ruckus. Before I could get her run off she managed to get my oldest and alpha hen cornered and killed. I think she actually scared my old girl to death. I couldn't find any bite marks on her or blood, but she was dead none the less. The rest of the chickens fled and it was over 2 hours before the last of them came back. I have 24 acres and I am pretty sure some of them went all the way to the other end of our property.

I spent yesterday going back and forth between crying and being very mad. People have complained about his dog running free for quite some time. They chain one of their dogs up, but not this one. We live out in the country and the animal control doesn't do anything. Waste of time to even call them. So my husband called them last night and they apologized, offered to replace her and said they would take care of the situation. So this morning I am happy to report that the dog is in a harness and chained up with their other dog. Sad part is that the other neighbor across the road that has chickens has two missing as of last night too. Hard to know if it was the dog or not, but since she is the only dog out here that is running free it is highly likely.

I do have to say that I am so proud of my old girl. She put herself between the dog and the other hens so they could run or get in the coop. She gave her life, the ultimate sacrifice. She was my alpha hen and old. She didn't lay eggs anymore and we had actually been talking about sending her to freezer camp. But we would have done it quick and humanely...not by tormenting her to death. It saddens me that she had to die in such a way, but makes me proud of her for saving the other girls at the same time. RIP Old Black Hen.

Here is a picture of her.

98950_even_more_chickens_027.jpg

At this point since we are good friends with them and they took action right away by confining her we will let it be as is. I don't care about money for replacing girl, I am more concerned about them taking care of their dog in a way that will be safe for my girls and her. My friend down the road called animal control after her chickens were attacked and they basically told her that they would not come on a call all the way out here for chickens.We live out in the county and there is not a leash law per se. So unless the dog is dangerous to humans they don't bother. He did tell her that if the dog comes back on their property and is harassing the livestock they can legally shoot it. I don't want it to have to come to that, I enjoy having a nice relationship with them. I am hoping they keep her contained and it goes no farther. IF she is not being contained again then it will be a different story and we will take further action.

That's the way it is here. In the county, no leash law, the sheriff told me to kill the dogs if they came back. SO, long story short, we don't have dog problems anymore. When the dogs didn't come home for a while the neighbor called the sheriff on me and he told her the same thing, keep it home or it's dead.

Sorry to hear about that, don't need bite marks as he can crush the bird if the dog is big enough, I would definetly complain to animal control hq and the state if that is what they said, they are employed to handle this type of situation. We have our own form of animal control out here, a loose dog is a dead dog, its been that way since forever and remains that way now, family pet or not, if my dog is on your property I would expect you to shoot it.
Alot of people wouldn't do that, hence, animal control was in to handle such a situation, if they aren't earning their pay, why are you payng them? At the very least make sure the proper complaint is filed over their heads

When dealing with neighbor friends it is a tough call, but in an effort to keep peace on your part , you made the best possible decision, now it is up to them to keep their end of the bargain. For the sake of your birds & friendship I hope they will do as they say. Thoughts & prayers be with you .

Well I am happy to say that everyday so far since the dog came here the owners have put her on a full harness and have chained her up with their other dog. She barked a lot the first day, but now seems content to lay around in the shade all day with the other dog. I am so happy that her owners are trying that and didn't just go right to getting rid of her. She is their family pet and we are all friends.

On another note, two days ago a lady went by my house on a four wheeler with two dogs trailing behind, no on leashes or anything. I stood in my drive way giving her the best stink eye I could until she was down around the bend. My hens would have been proud of me for that stink eye. The lady clearly saw me and kind of speed up when she noticed I was staring at her. Luckily her dogs followed right behind and my girls where all out of site. But I got a good look at the dogs, a German Shepard mix and a Boston Terrier. Hope I don't ever see them on my property.

Back
Top Bottom