Another EE or something else??

Okay I still continue to be confused somewhat. So let me post these pictures and see if you think I should get blue or green eggs from these girls...

98950_even_more_chickens_010.jpg

98950_even_more_chickens_009.jpg

One of these girls has blueish/slate legs and the other has greenish legs. Both have muffs, but what appear to me as single combs.

Your original picture of the white chicken with blue feet looks kind of like the famous "California Blue Foot"
Very expensive and impossible to get a hold of.
Originally from France. France keeps them under lock and key. It is illegal to export it's eggs or it's meat. You have to eat it there.
Some dudes in California and Canada claim to have the breed available here, but it's called the California Bleu

You should do some more research

Quote:
Okay, now I am really confused. My other EE, that have the puffy cheeks...they have single combs. Guess I need to get a Ph. D in chicken genetics to keep all of this straight. LOL

So Cute!
gig.gif

When you sign up for chicken school,please sign me up too. It's a lot to take in!

Quote:
I think it is just the lighting in the picture..she has really green legs. I am pretty sure she came from a hatchery, then I bought her as a young pullet from the lady who got her as a hatchling.
smile.png

Leg color does not matter.

As for comb type, try and get a photo of their combs up close if you can and I can tell you who has single or pea combs
smile.png

Comb, leg color, muffs, beards mean nothing. I have a EE named Cindy Lopper for the fact she has a straight comb like a leghorn and lays the prettist blue/green egg.
I have EE hens (2) that lay dark brown eggs and they have blue slate legs, beards, muffs, and pea combs. I have a EE that has a pea/buttercup comb no muff or beard and lays a beautiful green egg. So in the end, u will only know when she lays her first egg.

Quote:
For an EE to lay green/blue eggs, she needs to have both the green legs and the pea comb (and possibly the muff). An EE without one or the other will, as Illia said, most likely not lay green/blue eggs.

Actually that is incorrect. Ameraucanas have blue legs and they lay blue eggs
wink.png
Leg color does not count at all. Neither do muffs and beard. A colored egg layer can have whatever color of legs, whatever shape of body, etc.

A key with the comb is to make sure what you have is an actual single comb vs pea comb. If it truly looks like a straight line of teeth it is a single comb. If it looks like a line of lumps/bumps, in fact it is usually 3 lines of bumps, can be in a straight line or wavy, it is a pea comb
smile.png

Thanks for that info, Illia! I've read so many things on EEs and the leg color having something to do with the egg color, as well as what you just said. I kind of just assumed that the first scenario was correct. So thank you for the correction!
smile.png

Just to let you know that I have a white EE with no muff or beard. She does have a pea comb and lizard legs. She lays blue green eggs and is the sweetest most charismatic chicken I believe I'll ever have. Hope you have as good luck with yours.

Okay here are pictures of the white one, the two ones that I was told were Ameracauna (I think EE) and another little blue pullet that she told me was also an Ameracauna. Some people think it is a blue orpington, but it has an odd comb...I am not even sure what that kind of comb is called.

98950_002.jpg

Here is the green legged white pullet.

98950_006.jpg

Here is one of the previously shown EE.

98950_003.jpg

And here is her buddy.

98950_011.jpg

Illia, I hope this helps you out. I am learning a lot from what you are telling me, maybe other people will learn too!!
smile.png

The first one shown is actually a rose comb. . . . She likely isn't an EE or an Ameraucana, but instead something else.

The rest of the girls all have pea combs,
thumbsup.gif
So, expect colored eggs!

Back
Top Bottom