Another Feather Picking Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TK Poultry, Jan 23, 2010.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i no you guys are probably tired of me asking feather picking questions but i have another one

i have this expierement that i have had going since i found out this feather picking problem was going on! i took a hen with a full beard and stuck her in the pen in question i took another hen out of the pen and put her in a cage with a juvenile lav rooster. The hen with the lav cockerel is growing a pretty nice beard for only being with him for two weeks the other hen is beardless! i have now found the hen responsible for the whole problem what do i do with her to make her stop! she is the only one laying but my roo looks like a black brahma in the face!!!! what do i do i NEED full SQ beards for april so i can pick a couple for a show! i need answers this is my first time with this problem

and btw if it matters they are bantam ameraucanas

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    We have a picking problem with a number of our chickens, and are using black salve. It seems to work as a deterrant, but our problem has become enough of an issue that we are going to have to start using it more than once a day---I think the packaging says to use it three times a day if I remember it correctly. According to space requirements, we are under the suggested max of chickens we could house in both the coop and run, and we do give them outside perches in the run, a sand/DE bath area, different foods to play with/eat, a flock block to peck at, and rotate out an occasional two or three to a tractor, but they still pick at each other.
    We'll see if black salve actually helps to break this habit, or not. Not sure how good an idea this would be to use in show chickens, as I'm not sure what this would do to feather coloring/texture after even one application as far as show standards.

3. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    well if its black salve and its actually black it shouldnt hurt their color their black! where can you buty this black salve

4. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I have also had good luck with Rooster Booster Pick-No-More Lotion.

5. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:where do you buy that at?

6. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by