Another gender q: EEs at 12 weeks.

MoSo

In the Wild Plum Yonder
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
near Crater Lake NP, Oregon
Continuing on from this thread, wherein we were playing "guess the gender":

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=318348

The chickens in question are now 12 weeks old. Both are EEs, although Lucinda is looking very RIR.

Lucinda on the left, Frankie (Francesca, formerly Eliza in the other thread) on the right:
50509_landf.jpg

Now Frankie on the left and Lucinda on the right:
50509_landf2.jpg

Frankie on her own:
50509_frankie1.jpg

The black on Frankie's feathers makes her neck feathers look pointed, but they are actually quite round. There is a lot of black in her tail, but none of it is iridescent in any way.

Lucinda has a single comb, pink at the base and yellow on the tips, Frankie has a rather flat pea comb which is pinkish but nowhere near the red of my little Barred Rock's comb.

My two little Welsummers (9 weeks) are absolutely easy to tell apart - not even the faintest question of which is the rooster. I'll post pics of those two later.

Thanks for the replies!

Because I promised them, the pics of the much-easier-to-tell Welsummers. I don't know if this is the difference in breeds or the difference in buying well-bred chicks compared to farm store/hatchery chicks, but I knew the genders in about a week on these. Currently 7-8 weeks, both purchased as sexed pullets, which one obviously is not. I hope to find a good home for the cockerel, who is a gorgeous little thing.

I don't even need to label them, except to tell you the pullet's name is Maude.
Maude:
50509_wells2.jpg

Not-Maude:
50509_wells1.jpg

LOL on the 'not-Maude' photo. If only they were all that easy, eh?!! To me, Lucinda looks like a pullet, and Frankie looks like a roo. Especially in the second picture, the posture looks quite rooish. However, I would wait until he/she definitely tells you in no uncertain terms by either crowing or laying an egg for you.

Back
Top Bottom