Another Goat Question

Broke Down Ranch

Songster
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
Texas
OK, I know this has probably been asked (and answered) 100 times but.....

What breed of dairy goat gives a high percentage of fat and also a decent quantity of milk? I have 4 kids (of the human variety) that go thru milk like crazy but I would still like to make all of our cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream, etc, etc,.......so I'm in hopes of finding a good breed for this. I am currently getting almost 2 gallons a day from 4 nannies (and one of them only has 1 functioning teat). I have heard the Nigerian Dwarf gives a decent quantity yet have a high fat content. Is this true? Or is it all a matter of what we feed? Having one with some size is also a plus for possible meat purposes.

What's you're 2 cents worth? Thanks for any constructive input
smile.png

Well, we have a goat dairy here that uses Nubians because they produce high fat milk. They make fantastic goat cheese! I have Nubians right now, but my doe is not yet in milk. I do plan on making cheese, butter, yogurt etc. We loves our dairy products!
big_smile.png

P.S. They have a great website if you are interested: www.blackmesaranch.com

Nubian goats have the highest fat percentage of the breeds popular in the US. Here's a pic:
20534_nubiandoe1.jpg

They are sweet, engaging, and a little bit whiny! THey are also rather large. They come in any color imaginable. And they're cute. (can you tell what my fave goat breed is?)
tongue.png

I've heard that nigerian dwarf do produce a lot of milk and are great for beginners. I myself have boer and boer/nubian cross. Have yet to milk anything tho. (thank goodness...the weather is just getting ready to break)

Yup. Nubians
smile.png

If you get a Nubian with good milking lines they can give about 2 gallons or so a day at peak. I'd recommend them over any other goat breed but I'm a bit biased
tongue.png

Thanks for the replies ya'll. So here's my "flock":

Tippy - 1/2 Nubian, 1/2 Boer (Mega Teats)
Girlfriend - 1/2 Nubian, 1/2 boer (Dewlap)
Julia - 1/2 Nubian, 1/2 Boer (Right Teat)
Lefty - 1/2 LaMancha, 1/4 Nubian, 1/4 Boer (Flowmaster)
Tinkerbell - 1/2 Saanen, 1/2 LaMancha (Tiny Teats)

All of the above girls are in milk now tho Girlfriend is just freshened so I won't be milking her for another week. Here are my up-and-coming girls:

Gladys - 3/4 Nubian, 1/4 Boer (baby from Tippy)
Mickie - 3/4 Nubian, 1/4 Boer (Baby from Tippy)
Minnie - 1/2 Nubian, 1/4 LaMancha, 1/4 Saanen (baby from Tinkerbell)
Daisy - 1/2 Nubian, 1/4 LaMancha, 1/4 Saanen (baby from Tinkerbell)
Gracie - 1/2 Oberhasli, 1/4 LaMancha, 1/4 Saanen (grown, soon-to-be-bred daughter of Tinkerbell)

All the babies (with the exception of Gracie) have the same full-blood Nubian father. So, my next round of girls (with the exception of Gracie) should possibly produce a higher fat-content milk?

Last edited:
They should be. How well did the Nubian buck's doe milk? You're upcoming FF's seem to have a good mix of breed in them, but for the ones your milking, Boers generally aren't much of a milker, so the less Boer the better, for milking, in my opinion.

I have Nigi's, Alpine and Nubians. Yup, Nubians have the highest milk fat but Nigi's are right up there with them. HOWEVER, if you want to milk your Nigi's you want to buy from a breeder who is breeding with a good genetically sound milk line. Since their teats are already so small you want to get lines that have been bred for milking to help make it easier to milk them. Also, watch that their orifices are of good size so you aren't squeezing just to get a little stream each time.

I also agree that having Boer in the breed isn't going to help with the milking. I'd try to breed the Boer out of them and get more Nubian blood into them. Sometimes crosses (mutts) can actually be better milkers than purebreds. But, probably not with the Boer.

Back
Top Bottom