Another Grit question... Sorry

BriteChicken

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Huntsville, Alabama
As of my last post I'm making my own feed for my chickies and today all my local feed store had was Mana pro poultry grit Do you know if they will be able to eat it? because I know making my own whole grain feed they are going to have to have grit... and milk and ACV the works! I just want my chicks to start off right so should I crush it more with a hammer until they get bigger?

How old are your chicks.. Are they pullets or chicks??? I used parakeet grit from the petstore for my babies and only let the big girls have the Mana Pro...

What you can do is to to Lowe's and get a bag of "Builders Sand" (not play sand) it will be in the mason lane.. It is a lot cheaper (around $3.00 for 80 lbs) than grit and does the same thing...
It is the only thing I use now.. I "bed" my pens with it and they scratch through it and pick up what they need ( I lay a good 3" layer in the pens)

Chris

Thanks Guys!! They are week old chicks coming in and I'll have six in the brooder feeding them a home-made whole grain diet hopefully it'll go well the builders sand idea is awesome I'll put it in a little bowl for them free choice.

When I looked for parakeet grit for my chicks a year ago, all I could find was grit with calcium in it. Does this make a difference? I know that babies should not have a lot of calcium. I ended up just giving them some regular sand. Then it was suggested by someone to use aquarium gravel for babies.

However, most chick starter is ground fine enough that they don't need grit to digest it. I only started the grit when I started them on treats like fresh vegetables, crickets, etc.

I now use the Manna Pro Grit for my hens even though they free range and can find a lot of stuff. At $2.50 for a five pound bag, it's a cheap way to ease my mind that they keep their food ground up. I still have part of a bag left that I bought last June and I change it out every couple weeks. It tends to last a long time.

Mary

Yay! I was at lunch today and my friend said that she had some paraket grit that she would give me and that it was ground really fine do you think I could give them that I'll post the ingredients when I get it but what are your thoughts now Please?

I'm always wondering the same thing myself. My hubby doesn't seem to think that the girls need grit since there's plenty in the driveway.
roll.png
How important is buying and feeding them grit? How does this vary by what they eat each day?

Back
Top Bottom