Another hen dripping clear liquid from beak/“drooling”

Harun

Songster
Apr 10, 2021
The two Rhode Island reds I received from my friend has had a “drooling problem” since I got them, however it usually occurs when they drink, otherwise it never happens. There are so many variables and sicknesses that cause drooling and it’s just hard to tell, so I’m stressed out. Just now I saw one of my other hens “drool” from her beak. I have never seen her do this before. It was clear and I didn’t smell a foul odor. She eats and drinks just fine, is very active, and overall seems healthy. It is hot where I live so maybe she just drank too much water and that’s the stuff that came out of her mouth? I don’t know, but I’m certain you guys will. She barely makes contact with the 2 Rhode Island reds, as the duo is new.
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not an expert, but while you're waiting for more experienced heads to weigh in, maybe I can ease your nerves a little.

I've seen drooling a couple times: a group of older chicks when they drank too fast too much (they'd knocked their waterer over during the night and were parched by morning); and I accidentally made a rooster drool (spit up?) when I picked him up right after he finished drinking. In both instances it looked alarming (I'm a little new to this lol), and both times the chickens were fine. :)

Since it's hot out, have you offered them electrolytes?

I'm not an expert, but while you're waiting for more experienced heads to weigh in, maybe I can help your nerves a little.

I've seen drooling a couple times: a group of older chicks when they drank too fast too much (they'd knocked their waterer over during the night and were parched by morning); and I accidentally made a rooster drool (spit up?) when I picked him up right after he finished drinking. In both instances it looked alarming (I'm a little new to this lol), and both times the chickens were fine.
Hmm. Well, thanks for the reassurance. I’m very paranoid because one of my chickens, whom I easily could’ve saved, died because I didn’t find her sickness out fast enough. Ever since then I’ve been on edge whenever I see peculiar behavior or something unusual involving my flock. As I said before, thanks again for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom