Another integration question

Avrilon

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Georgia Mountains
I'd really like to put my 11 7-week-old Light Brahmas and Buff Orpingtons together with our 3 13-week-old Black Copper Marans. They are currently in the same coop with a near invisible netting dividing them and appear to be accustomed to seeing each other; they've been next to each other like that for two weeks now. They even sleep close to each other on occasion. My main reason for wanting to integrate them before the 7-week olds are older/larger is that it's so hot here already (heat index yesterday: 105 degrees... ugh) that I want them all to be able to go outside where it is cooler. There is one BCM rooster and one Light Brahma rooster, just fyi.

I'm must wondering if... even though the BCMs are older and larger, will they be intimidated at all by being outnumbered by so much?

I do have a fan blowing in the well-ventilated, shaded coop and lots of water and everyone seems okay, but outside it so much nicer and the ground is much cooler than the pine shavings inside. Plus I'm sure the young'uns are plain jealous; I feel bad for them being under lock and key.
hmm.png
However, I don't want anyone getting hurt; they are all such sweetie-pies.

Any sage advice?

I'm not sure if this will be of any help...but I would think if there are more little ones than the big ones, they should be ok. I currently have 10 9wk old chicks that I want to add my 6 wk old chicks to. There are only 6 6wk old chicks. And every time I try this, the bigger chicks pick on the others. They aren't that much bigger than the 6wk olds. But if I had a larger amount to add to my older ones, I think it would go smoother. I would give it a try and see how things go. Maybe wait until night time to introduce them, I've read of people doing that before. See how it goes. Good luck!

I'm new too but what's worked for me is having a safe haven for the younger ones that the bigger ones can't get into. That way they can escape if they're being tormented and have food and water that they can relax and enjoy any time they want. My banties are twice as man as my big girls 4-2. They're too small and too fast for the big girls to catch and hurt. So far. Now I'm introducing three little polish girls that aren't much smaller than the banties. Should be the same size by time they're ready to be let loose in the paddock and I'm hoping all the little ones will stick together.

I have my 5, 4-9 week olds in a wire kennel in the coop with the 3, 11 week olds. Today the 11 week olds went in the kennel while the others were in the coop and run. I had them all together in the run for about an hour supervised. The big ones will peck on the little ones if I turn my back. I hope someday they will get along. We dont have a roost up yet and don't plan to until the dog kennel is out.

Thank you for your input guys... I guess I just need to really supervise and give the little ones a safe place to run off to should they need it. Hubby and I will give it a go while we're both here just to make sure things go smoothly. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom