Another intro of ducklings to the gang

duckking

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Cascade Foothills, WA
We are doing the meet and greet of 2 ducklings to our mixed flock of ducks and chickens. They are 6-7 weeks old (Welsh Harlequin and Jumbo Pekin) They are in a separate pen with their own house within the safe run and then we have been letting them out into the big run under supervision. It's 85F. The chickens are curious and are gently showing them the pecking order, but in general, pretty oblivious. The ducks are avoiding them like the plague. Nuggets, the JB, is actually harassing the older ducks (3 Mallards, Rouen drake and duck). She's almost as big as the Rouens! She charges them! They don't want to have anything to do with the ducklings. I usually let the ducks out before the chickens and have had the young'uns out with them then, but still no interaction.

I know they are still pretty young, but I would love to have them integrated with the ducks so the drake will eventually protect them as he does the other ducks and so they can share the duck house as the weather cools.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much

Having them separated before permanent cohabitation is a great idea- they should eventually join together as one flock- but it may take some time- or at least the younger ones are pretty much the same size as the adults. You are doing things the right way...but they sound like they just need some more time to get things sorted out.

I stick my new kids in the big duck pen, fenced off with a divider. In the daytime they hang out under a tree in an ex-pen until I think they're big enough to play in the big pond. And yeah - when they finally mix (~4 weeks for this bunch) it's the little ones warning the big guys not to get too close! The older ones seem to just
roll.png

I've read about drakes hurting babies, so I am watchful, but I've never seen any hint of trouble with my flock. Ducks are just so chill about social stuff. It's great.

Today I saw a couple of the mallards chase the young girls off, so maybe they are realizing they are ducks also? Anyway, we still have lot's of time. I noticed the chicken lowest in the pecking order chase them today....finally someone else to lord it over! The Rouen drake is oblivious to the ducklings, except when the JB is chasing him off.
big_smile.png
I don't think I would want to do this in full on mating season, I'd be afraid of the drake trying to mount them. They seem fine, I just want them to be one happy family eventually.

Thanks very much for the responses!

Back
Top Bottom