Another Limping Duck Thread, with Photos

duck newbie

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
I am new to ducks (my hubby surprised me with 4 ducklings in April) and new to BYC and I have a problem with a 5 month old buff orpington (?) duck that just started limping. She (I think) started limping yesterday, 8-22-13, and there is some discoloration around her 'knee joint' and some swelling in her leg. Her leg does shake when she is standing still and she wont put weight on it unless necessary Other than this mystery she is healthy and has good straight, strong legs Got her confined in a little pen and guess I'll just wait and see what happens. She isn't people oriented so she doesn't like being handled.

I have read about the niacin and will get some next time I am in town.

She has access to chicken lay pellets, water for drinking and swimming and 1/4 acre pasture when I don't have her confined. She was raised on a water fowl crumble. So far my 3 others are fine, other than wondering why their buddy is penned up.

Sorry for the bad photo, I was checking her today and actually had my phone so I snapped this real quick.

And I may as well include pictures of my other 3... any idea what they are? The drake can have a purple or green sheen on his head and wings. He was the "ugly duckling" at the feed store b/c he was the only one of his kind.

I have started getting one green and one off white egg.

Thanks for taking the time to help me figure this out

I am new to ducks (my hubby surprised me with 4 ducklings in April) and new to BYC and I have a problem with a 5 month old buff orpington (?) duck that just started limping. She (I think) started limping yesterday, 8-22-13, and there is some discoloration around her 'knee joint' and some swelling in her leg. Her leg does shake when she is standing still and she wont put weight on it unless necessary Other than this mystery she is healthy and has good straight, strong legs Got her confined in a little pen and guess I'll just wait and see what happens. She isn't people oriented so she doesn't like being handled.

I have read about the niacin and will get some next time I am in town.

She has access to chicken lay pellets, water for drinking and swimming and 1/4 acre pasture when I don't have her confined. She was raised on a water fowl crumble. So far my 3 others are fine, other than wondering why their buddy is penned up.

Sorry for the bad photo, I was checking her today and actually had my phone so I snapped this real quick.

And I may as well include pictures of my other 3... any idea what they are? The drake can have a purple or green sheen on his head and wings. He was the "ugly duckling" at the feed store b/c he was the only one of his kind.

I have started getting one green and one off white egg.

Thanks for taking the time to help me figure this out
Looks like an injury maybe she hit it on something or fell? just a guess of course. Can you soak her leg in some warm Epsom salt water. it is very good for inflammation and injuries, you can't let them drink the water though because ES works as a laxative. Rest soaks and water therapy is what she needs now, You have done the right thing by confining her so she isn't try to keep up with the rest. When I have to soak a foot or leg of one of my ducks etc I use a small bucket fill it with the warm ES and put both legs into it[much easier than trying to do 1. ] 2 cups to 1 gal of warm water soak for at least 10mins or longer if you can hold them still. or use ES compresses soak a clean wash cloth in ES then wrap around the leg holding it in place. Your drake maybe Welsh harlequin
th

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom