Another Mama Heating Pad example

Day old shipped baby Chicks need to be kept 95-100 degrees minimum

The manufacturers of the brooder plates don't even recommend their use in ambient temps below 50 degrees. Day old chicks need more heat than this sorry
Mine were also day old shipped chicks. They brooded outside with a MHP in 20°F weather. I had cardboard around the sides of my dog crate to keep breezes off the chicks, straw underneath and on top of the pad. I bent the MHP frame so it was low enough for my bantam chicks to snuggle underneath.

February 2023
IMG_20230307_173426312.jpg

February 2024
IMG_20240214_170416446~2.jpg

Day old shipped baby Chicks need to be kept 95-100 degrees minimum

The manufacturers of the brooder plates don't even recommend their use in ambient temps below 50 degrees. Day old chicks need more heat than this sorry
Wow I feel bad that my mama hen dragged her day old chicks out into the barn, end of November here in Canada, to dig in horse poop in the stalls - I must say I have never had an issue with my chicks being cold.

They are quite tough and I alway ls have a bunch running around the barn either with a mama or using a brooder plate - they run around digging in poop, run back under the plate or mama when they need a warm up, then it’s back out digging in crap again😆

The ‘recommended’ heat is just that - a recommendation.

Mine were also day old shipped chicks. They brooded outside with a MHP in 20°F weather. I had cardboard around the sides of my dog crate to keep breezes off the chicks, straw underneath and on top of the pad. I bent the MHP frame so it was low enough for my bantam chicks to snuggle underneath.

February 2023
View attachment 3776424

February 2024
View attachment 3776426
OMG how beautiful! And that Roo is gorgeous 😊

I like it @EarthAlabama !

I used vinyl coated fence pieces, the Sunbeam heating pad, small bungees:
View attachment 3724754
View attachment 3724756
The fencing could be bent higher as the chicks grew.

Then I covered it with a pillowcase. The case drooped so I used binder clips and some zip-ties to keep it against the heating pad.
View attachment 3724759
View attachment 3724761
I used it in an outside brooder in March and then again in mid-April with my second batch of day-old chicks. The only opening was the front, no issues.

Many, many, many thanks for their post and these pix. I made one like this for my new ducklings. So far, so good, though getting the temp right has been difficult for me, due to my inexperience.

Many, many, many thanks for their post and these pix. I made one like this for my new ducklings. So far, so good, though getting the temp right has been difficult for me, due to my inexperience.
They will be fine, keep them dry and draft free, lot of clean water and food 😊💕

I would love to see photos 💕

Back
Top Bottom