Another Mama Heating Pad example

Yes the 12x15 is plenty big enough for 5 chicks. I have both and have had up to 9 chicks in the 12x15.
Good to know. You can confirm that the 12x15 does not auto shut off, right? I have the Sunbeam XL King 12x24 and I can confirm that it does not auto shut off, This is the most important part IMO and you don't really get to know based on description only which is frustrating, the description is generic. Some DO autoshut off. Believe me I know, I now have 2 never been used options for us humans should we need a heating pad with auto shut off 😏

That is a sturdy MHP. And for my next attempt I can see how I could incorporate a more solid frame and some of the excellent suggestions you have received.
  • The chicks will want to touch the surface of the MHP. Bottom and top.
  • Multiple egress options are important to prevent getting trapped.
  • Chicks will find a way to get caught in very small openings.
Here are a few pictures of my last MHP. I used a a 10" x 14" cooling rack slightly bent to give multiple heights. I just wrapped the heating pad around the rack to allow heat on both sides. The little blocks of wood help raise the MHP as they grow. This MHP does little to raise the temperature more than an inch away from the surface. The thermometer shown I used only to confirm for me, that the surface of the MHP was similar to the body temp of a real life Momma hen. The cover got a bit nasty. Poop happens. :) After using a setup like this for three broods, I did have to throw out the heating pad. I also duck tape an old towel to it in the picture in the brooder. Next year when I get some new chicks I will buy a new heating pad. Good luck.

Attachments

• MHP1.JPG
    MHP1.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 14
  • MHP2.JPG
    MHP2.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 9
  • MHP3.JPG
    MHP3.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 14
Good to know. You can confirm that the 12x15 does not auto shut off, right? I have the Sunbeam XL King 12x24 and I can confirm that it does not auto shut off, This is the most important part IMO and you don't really get to know based on description only which is frustrating, the description is generic. Some DO autoshut off. Believe me I know, I now have 2 never been used options for us humans should we need a heating pad with auto shut off 😏
Both of the Sunbeam's I have do NOT have auto shut off, it was one of the main "complaints" in the reviews, lol

Unless someone can recommend one that puts out more heat than this model I won't be using another one. My chicks abandoned the wood coop the cave was placed in and stayed inside the wire dog crate with a ceramic bulb overhead( was meant to be their run)

Unless someone can recommend one that puts out more heat than this model I won't be using another one. My chicks abandoned the wood coop the cave was placed in and stayed inside the wire dog crate with a ceramic bulb overhead( was meant to be their run)
Did you have it low enough for the chicks to place their backs against it? They need to touch it.

Did you have it low enough for the chicks to place their backs against it? They need to touch it.
Day old shipped baby Chicks need to be kept 95-100 degrees minimum
I have the LG and XL, both have worked great for me. I had week old chicks outside with the LG when we had a temp dip down to 34 and they didn't bat an eye. Do you have a pic of how you had it set up?

The manufacturers of the brooder plates don't even recommend their use in ambient temps below 50 degrees. Day old chicks need more heat than this sorry

Day old shipped baby Chicks need to be kept 95-100 degrees minimum

The manufacturers of the brooder plates don't even recommend their use in ambient temps below 50 degrees. Day old chicks need more heat than this sorry
I don't know what to tell you, I brooded a total of 56 chicks outside last year with these heating pads and had no issues

Back
Top Bottom