Another Microduck? Is Micro a daddy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensioux, Jul 4, 2010.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Although this little baby is healthier than Micro was, he is not growing. These 2 ducks were hatched on the same day (2 weeks ago) along with several others, this one has not grown. Could Micro have reproduced or is there something in the water over here? Either way it is the cutest, tiniest little duckling!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Do you still have Mircos parents?? It could be another with the same growth suppressing genetics like Micro- or as you say Micros could have passed on his slight frame to an offspring. Maybe just a runt too...I get them occasionally. However it hapened the little one is very cute... Personally I like to think Micro is now a daddy- just coz he is so cute and it would be lovely for you to have some offspring from him..

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I actually just had a similar hatch - I have five three week old mutts. three are a normal size, where as the other two are as small as week olds!

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Have had a few Butterscotch come out like this as well...I am wondering if what we are seeing are true dwarf traits or some variation on them.

5. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:awww, they are cute!

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I am new to ducks so mind if I ask a foolish question, please?
    I have 3 almost 2 month old white Calls and my little female is, to me, TEENY compared to the others-big size difference. My question is, what constitutes a micro-duck? Curious if that might not be what my Dixie is.

7. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Awe [​IMG] I have a tiny duck too but she was sick and I assume that is what cause it. I wound up seperating her from the other because she was 1/3 the size at one point and I was afraid they were going to crush her. Tiny has been on 20% protien flockraiser while the others were on 15% grower and she is still smaller.

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:"Micro" was just a term I used for my little duckling that never grew. He is still very small, smaller than a female call. I started posting pics of him last year because his growth rate was extremely slow. He still looked like a week old duckling when all the others were fully feathered out. I did not expect him to live either because his health was questionable. Most folks on BYC agreed that it must have been some sort of dwarfism. He is a little trooper and a fiesty little fella!

9. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I love Microduck and I love Microduck baby tooooooo [​IMG]

10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks, Chickensioux.
    My little girl is/was healthy so maybe she is just a regular size Call hen, but looks so small to me because I am used to "regular" sized ducks.
    Your ducklings(micros and otherwise) are beautiful.
    Looking at your pictures is one of the reasons I got the Calls in the first place so I guess I have you, in part, to thank for introducing me to these pocket sized, loudmouthed little darlings that I adore so much. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by