Another "My Ducks Aren't Laying Yet" Thread

Check. Dry place it is.

My cayuga has decided to contribute to the table as well. I got my first "black" egg this morning. Things are looking up around here. Ducks are so much fun to have around. I can't wait until they are all laying.

Chris.

wee.gif

Two more this morning. I think they're getting the hang of it. The cayugas egg was 65g and the W.H. was 53g. Does anyone know what the average egg size is for these to breeds when they are laying consistantly? I know they will get bigger, but how much?

Okay, so lets talk suitable nesting boxes. I had made a wooden one with an open top. The WH did use it a few times but so did everyone else. Her eggs got covered in poop. Not nice. I switched it out with a 5 gallon bucket on its side hoping they would use it but I fear it may be too small for them. I liked the idea b/c I figured the males may be too big to get in and wouldn't care enough to go in. It should keep the eggs cleaner. Anywho, they are not using it so far. They are just laying on the floor now and of course the eggs are still getting dirty. How do I prevent this? I don't really want to wash my eggs if I am going to be storing them longer term or selling them at some point. This is not an issue now with only two laying but in the future. Any thoughts?

I pen my ducks in the evening and let them out at first light. The days are getting shorter very quickly. They are in their pen now for about 10.5 hrs/day. I do not feed or water in my duck house. They seem to be okay with this.

Chris.

I keep the bedding as tidied up as I can, and that only takes about 15 minutes in the mornings, most days, with the big clean out once a week or two. Most of the time, the eggs are clean, laid usually in a corner. Mine don't use nesting boxes, they choose their own places, sometimes making little nesty spots. A few ducks just lay wherever from time to time.

The bedding is fairly tidy. Perhaps just getting rid of some of these excess drakes will help out. A chore that does need to be done, and soon. Too many feet in the coop at night. I am determined to have a nesting box that the ladies use. I will let you know how it develops over the next few weeks. Hopefully the girls keep laying through the winter.

Back
Top Bottom