Another new coop

Beautiful coop and birds!!!!!!!!!! Great job on all the detail
thumbsup.gif

Seriously-wow! That is great!
The rocks all over....VERY good additional predator proofing! We do it here...even with the chicken tractor at night, yes I move them every couple days-good exercise-we line it with nice sized boulders. We'll be doing the same thing with our new coop!
Great work!

Alaskan: not to much snow, this was when I started at the end of may
lol.png
lol.png

coop2.jpg

I had to dig out where I left the walls. I don't see a problem with show covering the hole, I would rather that than it sitting on the roof. the door is retractable and spring assisted so up to a couple of feet will be no problem, after that there staying inside untill it starts to melt. I have a few snowblowers that will work to clear most of it if it gets too bad.
The rocks are from across the road, they have been piling up rocks from 1864 and couldn't wait to get rid of them, under there is also 12 inches deep hardware cloth, shame racoons can climb.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I had to go back to the pictures to see what you were talking about here and YES....THAT is an awesome stroke of genius!!! I have a mason jar waterer and was wondering how I was going to get it high enough that "muck" wouldn't get in it...and bingo...there it is
smile.png

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUSE! Anytime you want to get out of the Snow this winter and come on down to the sunny gulf coast..just bring your plans and your tool belt and you can vacation at my house...All ya have to do is help me build one of those! Awesome Awesome job! What could be cuter than a nice little victorian cottage! If it was larger I would love to live in it!

Firefyter-Emt wrote:
I just have to add a comment about the overlooked bit of pure genius! That wire chain sling for the mason jars is something to remember!

eggonomist: I have to ask, did you make those "slings" or buy them? If you made them, that is some ingenuity and patience.

Also, with the Mason jars being in the slings, how do you refill food and water in them?

NIIIICE job!​

I made them, I got a 100 ft of chain for $10. First you open the end link with long nose pliers and make a loop around the neck like a dog leash and collar, the leash part you decide where you want it to end, then open the next link, match it up with the first leash and make another length do this once more and then count the links around the neck, divide by 3 and put the other 2 on the neck loop evenly spaced. Join the 3 ends with another link, then about 2/3rds down the jar make another collar, joining onto the long lengths as you go. Thats it, 5 minutes work. I found it easier to use a larger link when joining the 3 long pieces so when I hang it I know where to hold because if it slips it can take some time to work out what bit goes where. To fill with water I turn then up side down over the sink, remove the feeder port and wash the jar out re-fill and put the feeder part on upside down, take a hold of my large link and turn the feeder over, you loose a few drops but hardly any. Same goes for the feed except I turn it upside down in the feed bag so none gets wasted. I did try elevating them on bits of wood but the chicks used to charge them and send them flying, so I had to think of something and I had the chain that comes with hanging flourescent lights and made the first one from that just to see if it would work. I tried to make one like a hanging basket by drilling into the sides of the feeder and attaching 3 evenly spaced pieces of chain, that also works well but by suspending the jar the chicks don't have the chains in the way.
Jenlyn9483. Thanks for your offer, but plans!:eek: i just had the picture of someone else's coop and tried to copy it and do my own thing on the way using reclaimed materials where ever I could to try and keep the cost down as much as possible.
I love the learning process and this has been a great one to have fun with. My wife was against the idea but now it's nearing completion it's HER coop and HER chickens (which is great with me) except she now gets all fussy about cleaning it and planting flowers around it, time for me to take a step back and let her get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom