Another newbie here---this time from Georgia!

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our flock! Good luck on your coop tractor build and thanks for joining BYC!
smile.png

My Tractor Supply got very limited breeds. They got a California White which I had never heard of , black sex linked, and some Barred Rocks.

Unless you need a rooster for fertile eggs to hatch or sell. The hens will be very happy without one especially ,in the narrow confines of a tractor & they won't be overbred or damaged.

The rule of thumb is 10 hens per rooster. Less than that & they will be greatly overbred, especially since they cannot run & hide from him. They will lay just as many eggs though not fertile and will be much less stresses.

Predators can be able to overturn a tractor, or dig underneath and still get an easy lunch.

welcome-byc.gif

A big welcome to both new members from GA!

Thank you for all the amazing greetings and well wishes!!!! While we are going to use a tractor it will have a 'house' or coop attached for lock down at night and knowing my hubby it will pretty well stabilized. We live on a farm so have the use of heavy equipment so it will be moved not necessarily by human force but by tractor pull. (at least that's the plan now).

In any event....my thanks for the warm welcomes. I'm enjoying reading through some of the past posts on the forums. And hearing all the advice. It is ALL welcome and helpful!

Our tractor supply doesn't seem to have much in the way of variety---and there were a number of dead chicks in there so I'll order though unfortunately now that will move me back into June it looks like.... I've been looking at My Pet Chicken....any advice on different sites?

My chicks are supposed to arrive from my pet chicken on the 14th or 15th. I'll let you know how they do. I ended up getting some Australorp chicks from tractor supply. Found out they buy from Hoover Hatcheries
I have 6 and really only want 3! Any interest in the other 3? Remind me where you are!?

My chicks are supposed to arrive from my pet chicken on the 14th or 15th. I'll let you know how they do. I ended up getting some Australorp chicks from tractor supply. Found out they buy from Hoover Hatcheries
I have 6 and really only want 3! Any interest in the other 3? Remind me where you are!?
I'm in the Rockmart/Draketown area----I'd love them but am waiting for 'hubby' to say 'go!' Which is still killing me! lol I'll keep in contact we should start the chicken tractor next week I hope!

Back
Top Bottom