Another Newbie Here!

Thank you so much! I am getting a little worried about building a coop. I was initially looking and purchasing a pre-fab coop but all the reviews seem terrible and complain about poor quality. I am now looking at building it to ensure the safety of my girls and their well being. This will be a learning experience!
Do not get a prefab, they are poor quality, holds less chickens then it says, not enough ventilation, and is over priced. I suggest you build your own coop. Each chicken needs a minimum of 4sq ft of coop space, 10sq ft run space, 1 linear ft of roost, and 1 sq ft of 24/7 permanent ventilation. Also for every 4 chickens you need 1 nesting box.

Welcome to BYC! Chickens are more addictive than you think, lol.
Yes, I am discovering just how addictive they are! Unfortunately, I am only allowed to have 6 of them. Still, they have unique personalities and I am learning just how playful they are! They are even musical! I used an old empty Christmas cookie tin to raise their water container up off of the floor area. They like be this hollow tin. They peck out rhythms on the tin and entertain themselves! I had to replace the tin with a paver stone to raise it up and they now use the tin as a toy! Who would have guessed? 😂😂😂

Do not get a prefab, they are poor quality, holds less chickens then it says, not enough ventilation, and is over priced. I suggest you build your own coop. Each chicken needs a minimum of 4sq ft of coop space, 10sq ft run space, 1 linear ft of roost, and 1 sq ft of 24/7 permanent ventilation. Also for every 4 chickens you need 1 nesting box.
@Tookie - thank you for this reply! This confirms my thoughts and motivates me to make a nice home for the girls! I have been seeing so many creative ideas and resourceful options! I was wondering about nesting boxes! I did learn that they like to share a “safe” space for nesting boxes. I wasn’t sure of the ratio of chickens per box. With only 6 girls, 2 nesting boxes would suffice. I’m so glad for your insightful reply. Again, many thanks! 🤗

Yes, I am discovering just how addictive they are! Unfortunately, I am only allowed to have 6 of them. Still, they have unique personalities and I am learning just how playful they are! They are even musical! I used an old empty Christmas cookie tin to raise their water container up off of the floor area. They like be this hollow tin. They peck out rhythms on the tin and entertain themselves! I had to replace the tin with a paver stone to raise it up and they now use the tin as a toy! Who would have guessed? 😂😂😂
My chickens love it when I put branches in their run, they free range all day, but sometimes they just want to roost on them lol, I also have some big pipes in the run that the younger pullets love to hide in.

My chickens love it when I put branches in their run, they free range all day, but sometimes they just want to roost on them lol, I also have some big pipes in the run that the younger pullets love to hide in.
Oh! More great ideas! I love it! What kind of big pipes? That sounds like a great little hide out for them. I have seen and read about so many awesome ideas! I am not sure what I am going to end up with for the girls. With all this great advice from everyone here, I hope it will be a happy hut for them!

Oh! More great ideas! I love it! What kind of big pipes? That sounds like a great little hide out for them. I have seen and read about so many awesome ideas! I am not sure what I am going to end up with for the girls. With all this great advice from everyone here, I hope it will be a happy hut for them!
I’m actually not sure what kind they are, The person who owned the land before me had a junk pile and we found them in there.

@Tookie - thank you for this reply! This confirms my thoughts and motivates me to make a nice home for the girls! I have been seeing so many creative ideas and resourceful options! I was wondering about nesting boxes! I did learn that they like to share a “safe” space for nesting boxes. I wasn’t sure of the ratio of chickens per box. With only 6 girls, 2 nesting boxes would suffice. I’m so glad for your insightful reply. Again, many thanks! 🤗
Your welcome!

Back
Top Bottom