Another Newbie in tha coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MudDuck, May 20, 2008.

1. MudDuck

MudDuck New Egg

May 19, 2008
    I Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I have recently obtained 14 of what I think are Australorps, unk sex. (Have 1 grown Roo too, think he's a Red) They look pretty much like the pic here on the breed page. They are about oh...6weeks or so (about 8" or so) and free ranging on my 20 ack farm. I have a 4x8 coop, about 12x20 -6' kennel for run around the coop and side of barn, but they can't get in the coop yet, pretty tall, (they free range during the day but I have Fox in the area and want to lock them up at night) I started cooping them in the horse barn where they currently go by them self as dusk when the Roo go's to coop. I apologize for what I'm sure are going to be re re rereeeeee-peated questions but here go's.
    Questions: They start laying approx 6mo? I'm just feeding them scratch feed, one or two handfuls a day and letting them roam for bugs over the 5 ack yard/pasture. Is this OK at this age? They seem to be doing very well. The Roo believe it or not is tolerating them very well, you'd think he was the mother hen. I'm going to set up hen boxes. Will they sort out who's who's box it is and will they only use them when they start laying?
    Enough for now I just wanted to get started and I thank you in advance for any advice I can get.

2. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Ok my puter went crazy you might get this twice. [​IMG] I think it is fine! However, if you have foxes around they will swallow them up quick if you don't lock them away. Especially at night. I lost two pens of chickens that WERE locked away, but not as "locked away" as I should have done. [​IMG] One were biddies and one were full size hens and a roo. That was last year. DH built three bomb proof hen houses now. Tehe! His favorite roo got eaten last year. Also, about the hens sorting out the laying pens, they will do that, or some of them will share. However, as far as them "just going in to lay" hmmm....can't say. They may go in and out, never know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by