Another newbie joining the flock

katiefloy

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
southern maryland
My Coop
My Coop
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I have been trying to convince my husband to get chickens for a few years. Like many, the egg shortage at the grocery store finally made him cave.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None. I have 10 on the way from Meyers Hatchery. They were shipped this Monday (4/6). I am a nervous wreck as they just showed delivered to the distribution center in my state this morning and haven't shown that they left yet.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I ordered 2 silver laced wyandottes, 1 barred rock, 1 delaware, and 6 'assorted rare females'. Fingers crossed that the post office didn't screw up and they arrive safely.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I don't now yet

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like to garden, read, hang out by the water garden we put in a few years ago (watching the frogs, fish, birds, etc.), maintain my saltwater aquarium

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We are a small family. Just my husband and 6 year old son. We have 2 dogs. A siberian husky and a terrier mutt. Both are getting up there in years. I also keep a 150 gallon saltwater aquarium and a 15' diameter pond with koi and goldfish. We will only be keeping 3 of the 10 chicks we receive as we live in Maryland and our county only allows 1 chicken per half acre on lots under 2 acres (this seems pretty dumb, but oh well).

Back
Top Bottom