another newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by n2cork, Jun 11, 2009.

1. n2cork

n2cork Hatching

Jun 11, 2009
    yes we went out of town. I encouraged my 16 year old son to visit the grand opening of the new tractor supply store. when we returned that evening he told us he had a surprise in the garage- 5 baby chickens he purchased at tractor supply! so.... the search for coop plans, building the coop, educating ourselves on chickens began. it has been a lot of fun, i cant believe how much fun i have had. cant wait for those brown eggs to start showing up! looking forward to learning from all the pros.

2. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Songster

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Welcome!

You couldn't have come to a better place for getting started with your chickens.

What kind do you have?

We love to see pictures. [​IMG]

3. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    You are in for lots of fun and you've come to the right place to learn. The people on here are very helpful.

Have you checked out the coop plans? Before we built our coop I spent a lot of time looking at every picture posted and writing down the things I liked as well as the things I didn't like. Now we have the perfect coop from my point of view. I think the feathered people would like anything.

Also check out about what to feed at different ages.

Will you have to find homes for roos? Start looking before you find out who the roos are. I had to place two, one went to a personal friend and one found a home on Craigslist.

Have you named your babies yet?

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi, [​IMG] from South Carolina!

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida. Your in for the time of your life! [​IMG]

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from UT! Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens [​IMG]

8. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from PA! Be very careful whenever you visit the feed store! It can become addictive! [​IMG]

Good luck and have fun with your new chicks!

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

What a great surprise to come home to.

Imp

10. frogs n chickens

frogs n chickens Chirping

May 19, 2009
    valley springs, calif.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: