Another Newbie

NanaLynn

Songster
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
Hello Everyone, I am new to having a backyard flock of my own. I helped care for chickens when I was much younger and I enjoyed it. Collecting eggs, watching the chickens, etc. I have ordered some chicks for early spring and I am getting a coop ready with the help of my husband and also collecting brooder supplies, etc.

So far our plans are to have 2 White Leghorns, 2 Buff Orpington, 2 Black Astralorp, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Barred Rocks and 3 Easter Eggers and 1 Mystery Chick. They are all supposed to be females, hopefully I'll have luck with that. So around 16 to 17 chicks and the plan at the moment is to have them delivered the 2nd week in February 2013.

I found out about Back Yard Chickens.com by just using Google to get information on chickens and raising them, etc. It seemed all my links brought me to this website. My original thought was to buy started pullets, but after research I've decided getting baby chicks was the way to go.

Some of my other hobbies are gardening, crocheting, healthy eating, exercising and more. I have a nice raised veggie garden and even started fall planting this year. I am pretty much a health food nut and I try to eat as natural as possible. I enjoy cooking with fresh ingredients and I especially like the idea of having fresh eggs each day, which is why I wanted chickens. Plus, the idea of extra pets and companions sounds great to me.

I have 3 grown children-2 in college and 1 graduated from college and married. A great husband that is very supportive of me and my new chicken hobby. We also have 1 pet, a female Chow that we rescued. She's a sweet dog.

This website is great and so full of information, I have learned so much reading all the comments that community members have posted. I look forward to exploring the site even more.

welcome-byc.gif
from Highland County Ohio!!!

Back
Top Bottom