Another Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NanaLynn, Nov 1, 2012.

1. NanaLynn

NanaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2012
    Hello Everyone, I am new to having a backyard flock of my own. I helped care for chickens when I was much younger and I enjoyed it. Collecting eggs, watching the chickens, etc. I have ordered some chicks for early spring and I am getting a coop ready with the help of my husband and also collecting brooder supplies, etc.

So far our plans are to have 2 White Leghorns, 2 Buff Orpington, 2 Black Astralorp, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Barred Rocks and 3 Easter Eggers and 1 Mystery Chick. They are all supposed to be females, hopefully I'll have luck with that. So around 16 to 17 chicks and the plan at the moment is to have them delivered the 2nd week in February 2013.

I found out about Back Yard Chickens.com by just using Google to get information on chickens and raising them, etc. It seemed all my links brought me to this website. My original thought was to buy started pullets, but after research I've decided getting baby chicks was the way to go.

Some of my other hobbies are gardening, crocheting, healthy eating, exercising and more. I have a nice raised veggie garden and even started fall planting this year. I am pretty much a health food nut and I try to eat as natural as possible. I enjoy cooking with fresh ingredients and I especially like the idea of having fresh eggs each day, which is why I wanted chickens. Plus, the idea of extra pets and companions sounds great to me.

I have 3 grown children-2 in college and 1 graduated from college and married. A great husband that is very supportive of me and my new chicken hobby. We also have 1 pet, a female Chow that we rescued. She's a sweet dog.

This website is great and so full of information, I have learned so much reading all the comments that community members have posted. I look forward to exploring the site even more.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Great selection you've chosen. :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  3. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

1 person likes this.
  6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

1 person likes this.
  7. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] i really hope and am sure , you love it here as much as me!!

Can't wait to hear how your new babies are doing!!

1 person likes this.
  8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

1 person likes this.
  9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, LynnEBC, and [​IMG]! Happy you found us! Best of luck with your impending chickens!! That is exciting and those are some great breeds you have selected!

1 person likes this.
  10. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello & welcome to BYC from The Heartland of Kentucky!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by