Another not so good hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2wheelsdaily, Mar 13, 2012.

1. 2wheelsdaily

2wheelsdaily Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    South Georgia
    Geez, 42 eggs, 12 hatched. My second attempt at hatching eggs. The first time I only hatched 5 out of 25. This second time I calibrated my thermometer with 2 digital ones because the first time it was apparently too low because the 5 were late. This time the majority of them did hatch on day 21 so I think the temps were correct. I watched it as closely as I could and never found it very far off at all but I am gone all day so I don't know what it was doing durning the middle of the day. Both times eggs were from reliable breeders (expensive eggs) and this second time I picked up the eggs, they weren't shipped thru the mail.
    I am using a Little Giant incubator from Tractor Supply and the thermostat in it is pretty lousy I think. I guess I'll just try building a incubator and use better components. I can't afford to keep buying expensive eggs and having such low hatches!

Bobby

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Don't feel bad, I've ordered eggs two times through the mail, and nothing hatched. Then I had about three hatches, with just a few chicks each.

My friend let me borrow her very nice R-Com incubator, which has the fan, auto turner, shows a digital display of the temp and humidity, and I've had great hatched from that.

It's such a gamble with shipping. I had 24 eggs one time, and only 3 hatched. Your best hatch was from the eggs you picked up, right? I suspect rough handling at the post office is to blame for some of your unhatched eggs.

3. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Sorry to hear, I'm hatching eggs for the first time from eggs I won. They from a very good looking breeder, so I hope I get a good hatch.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Don't be too hard on yourself.

You will very, very rarely get 100% hatch rate out of shipped eggs.

Most consider themselves lucky to get 30% hatch rate from shipped eggs.

Enjoy your chicks. [​IMG]

5. Zootopia

Zootopia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas
    Does your LG have a fan? While the LGs have a fairly low grade on here there are some people who have good results with them. There is a hatching "Cheat Sheet" especially for them done by a guy who has great success. I'll post the link if I can find it. But if you look around, you'll find many references to it in these hatching threads.

6. Zootopia

Zootopia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas
  7. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Bobby
    Sorry about bad hatches ...Not saying anyting bad ..Just I know lotsa people that spend more on eggs than Incubator...Go Figger It....cva34

8. 2wheelsdaily

2wheelsdaily Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    South Georgia
    Thanks for the replies, my incubator does not have a fan but I read the fan really doesn't improve hatch rates.
    Since I am not home usually during the day I think I"ll get a Brinsea incubator.
    Bobby

9. wvtim

wvtim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Little Giants without the fan kit are worthless - in my opinion.

You can add the fan kit for less than $30. My hatch rate drastically increased when I added the fan - its still not awesome but much better

10. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    maybe I just got lucky. My first hatch with a still air LG ... . 47 hatched 2 died
    I set 60 eggs to start with. I think a few were infertile. 5 looked like they should have hatched but died at the end

I have 45 one week old chicks right now

I tried to follow the cheat sheet as much as possible and read over this forum a ton before my first try. I also set up my LG at least one week ahead of time. I think setting it up really helped a ton. It took me a while to get thermometers that were any where near correct. same with hygrometers. I just played with it for a week or so before I got my eggs.

I work long days but I checked the LG often when I was home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by