1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Another nube

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rannug, Sep 22, 2014.

1. rannug

rannug Out Of The Brooder

68 y/o retired at 54. Married to Brenda for about 30 years. A son and his family in Wyoming, a daughter and her husband in South Dakota, and a son in Columbus, Ohio. I have been seriously considering getting some chickens for 3-4 years now. Put a new roof on my 12x16 shed this year, and haven't stopped since. We originally got 6 bantams. Only 3 left, 2 Rs and an H. The hen is laying nice brown eggs, and a lot of them. She is the size of a normal hen, but her eggs are small. I think that next we got 4 guinea fowl. And 3 blue palm turkeys. Then 16 or so banties from MMcM. And lastly 5 silkies for a total of six of them. I am still learning about what to feed. I am getting concerned about the upcoming winter, and how to care for them then. Except for the silkies they all free range. Although we live in the boonies, no predators, yet. One of the original Rs I call Baldy, the barnyard *******. He is a MEAN one. I've threatened to shoot him a number of times, but as DW says, another one will take over. But he is so ****** little. The cock of the walk.

The coop is a couple hundred feet from the house and I am not running electricity to it. I will bring fresh unfrozen ice to them several times a day. Not too worried about the coop, but..............Haven't paid too much attention to what kinds we have. I think a couple buckeyes, 4 penguins, some buff orpingtons or whatever they are. No idea about the rest. When I go to the coop in the morning I have to feed the turkeys and guineas from my hand. **** but those guineas bite hard. When I come back to the house one of the turkeys usually hops on the 4 wheeler with me.

I have lurked here for a while, and really appreciate all the helpful commenters. This is really a good site. I doubt if I contribute to the forums, because like I said, I am a nu b. Thanks to all.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to the poultry community of BYC. Great introduction! You contribute by just being here.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have come to the right place for all the learning and fun! Make yourself at home here. If you have any specific questions long the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC, glad to have you here! [​IMG]

6. stasichick

stasichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    Long Island
    Not to worry about feeling like you can't contribute... once you have them for a few days /weeks youll have more knowledge than the next newbie. :eek:) Happened to me and I was pleasantly surprised when I was finally able to help someone.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about guineas or turkeys (never had either one), but if you want to, definitely post on our guinea and turkey sections at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl and https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys and take advantage of our guinea and turkey experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by