Another predator attack

Well we have checked on them this morning and everyone is still alive. The 3 worse ones are still in really bad shape. One EE is missing feathers from the top of the head to the tail. The Cuckoo Maran is missing feathers from the base of the neck to the tail. The one I’m worried about the most is a Buff. She is missing all of her feathers around the butt and has white poopy stuff draining out. All the others have bald spots and bite marks under their wings. One is not walking too well. The 3 uninjured are being very skittish. My hubby is in town looking for antibiotics . Our bottle has mysteriously disappeared! Figures .......

So no antibiotics to be found, something about new laws have to get them from a vet? Our family vet doesnt deal with chickens, not that we could afford for him to anyway. Still waiting on animal control to contact us, not holding my breath. We've called several times about stray dogs and feral cats in the 16 years we've lived here and they never return our calls. Lost our 3 year old EE Cleo, she used to lay the prettiest pale green eggs. I didn't even think she was hurt that bad, just a few scratches! The 3 I'm the most concerned about are amazingly still here!
After much praying and discussion, hubby and I have decided to rehome the healthy ones and we're also looking for some help culling the injured. It's not fair for the girls to be cooped up all the time. Hubby and I both are having health problems with associated financial strain and our preteen daughters sports events are starting to consume all of our free time. Many times we've had to care for chickens in the dark at 10pm with a flashlight! Once again not fair to them. I've been crying for days over this but am feeling some peace with our decision. Now we just have to get this done. Prayers are much appreciated!

Well, after a week we are holding at 9 surviving hens. I can report that my green egg laying EE Cleo is still alive! In a case of mistaken identity, I got her mixed up with the Mahogany Buff , Maggie. 1 of the badly injured was an EE named Robin, she hung on till Thursday. The Buff with the tornup rearend is still here but she looks pitiful. The other badly injured was the Cuckoo Maran. Her back is bare but her attitude is back! All of the other injured are bald spots and bite marks under their wings. Everyone is back to being extremely mobile and vocal. Two are laying eggs! They're eating and drinking , its hard to judge how well. We've never had less than 14 chickens before. They are not going thru food as fast the 21 hens we had 2 weeks ago.
We are still looking for someone to adopt the flock. We are still walking around in the back yard with a shotgun.

Well it took awhile but we finally found a home for the surviving 8 hens. Luckily its a family member here in town, so I can go visit them! I bawled like a baby when the truck backed out of the driveway though. But I know they are in a safer location and already laying eggs for their new family. And just to verify it was the right decision, those aggravating dogs showed up in the woods behind the house again.......mumbling unkind words under my breathe........We are planning on converting the big chicken coop to a much needed shop for my husband. Now I can get all of his tools out of our house! And the baby coop is going to be converted into a potting shed for our garden. The good news is I have three years worth of chicken poop and shavings piled up in the backyard, so I've got plenty of mulch for the garden! And the girls are still in the family so I have access to the fresh eggs! I'll come by and check on my favorite chicken board occasionally.
Blessings to you all!

I know it was hard letting go but I think you made the right decision in finding them a new home, with your current life situation. I'm glad things worked out so that you know your surviving chickens went to a good new home and you'll still get some fresh eggs.

You did a great job nursing those hens back to health and finding a new home for them. So glad it worked out so well.

Back
Top Bottom