Another Q: Mixing broilers and layers

stgagnon

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Vermont
Here's another Q from a first-timer.

I'm getting 14 chicks, straight-run next week. I will brood them and then I have a coop that is supposed to be big enough for 10 full sized chickens.

My plan is to keep as many hens as I can, and 1 rooster. The rest will be processed and put in the freezer.

Since the layers and the broilers will be together until the broilers are ready, they are going to get the same kind of feed. Should I use the starter feed for that whole period?

These are Buff Orps, by the way.

I've read that broiler feed will fatten them up much faster.. should I figure out a way to separate them this time?

I'm thinking that in the long run, I will let a hen hatch a brood every few weeks and keep the broiler population going, and I will (by that time) have created separate quarters for the broilers..

However, I plan to let them free range in the yard.. I suppose I won't be able to separate them after all?

OK.. now I've lost the question I was going to ask. Perhaps I am over-thinking the whole thing.

I guess the real question is: Is this a good plan? Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

-Suz

As long as you keep up on the cleaning, just feed start and grow to everyone for the whole time. Meat birds poo ALOT so keep that in mind. I raise my meat and layers together but I do so on a very small meat bird scale (4). 4 meat birds make more poo in 8 weeks than do 18 leghorns in the same time!

Back
Top Bottom