Another question or two!

squirtnlex

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 15, 2007
Pa
I do notice with mine (I think they are about 3 weeks old now, but they are feathering in very well, does that determine age?) they like when I go out in the garage and sit on my bucket and sing to them! I am not a good singer, but they like the calm, soothing tone and usually squat down and fall asleep! I try to handle, but they squack and run about also! I threw in some cherry tomatoes and lettace and some bean sprouts today, they ate the sprouts, and some of the tomatoes and lettuce, are they too young for that stuff?
Thanks,
Courtney

Yes they should only be on the chick food for the first 22 weeks and no singing ever!
big_smile.png

As far as I figure, it's your choice on when you think it would be a good time. The only thing with feeding them something that isn't chick feed, is that they need extra grit to break it down. I've tried bananas at about that age, but I don't think they liked it much.

Sorry to disagree, but I watched outside chicks grown up eating everything their moms could scratch up. I give mine very fine mulched grass clippings, some fruits and anything they will eat, except potatoes, they are smarter than you think. I order 100 chicks in February and lost 4 the first 2 days, none since. They are orphanings, sliver lace, cochins, all big breeds. I also put good clean bank sand for their assess starting about 3 weeks, they love it to roll in and eat quiet abit while scratching. I keep 18% protein chick starter available at all times for them but they enjoy the variety.

I think we sometimes forget, chickens were wild creatures and somehow they survived without our care and attention. Of course, it is fun to spoil them and give them treats, I watched them play keep away with a lizzard yesterday until one finally found a secure place and finished him off. Also, Sunday, I watched them make a run for the chicken house when they hear a red tail hawk overhead make his sound, this has to be a genetic memory since they have not been outside in their yard but a couple of weeks while I am present. No my 6' high chick yard is not covered and I have no intentions of covering it except with with automatic 22. I live in a rural area bordering a national forrest. I may lose a few but I keep a 22 automatic handy and the red tail will be history. No lectures please about the law, this is Texas, , there is plenty of food for the hawk elsewhere and if a couple of warning shots don't deter him, he will be buzzard bait. My chicks are endangered also and I have an investment, I would do the same thing to someone breaking into my house. And no, I am not Elizbeth Edwards neighbor, the one that freighten her because he has a gun. Remember Henny Penny said the sky was falling long before Al Gore was born and I didn't believe her either.

bmarshall

Chicks that free range with mom pick up grit and other stuff (and are a lot healthier in the long run), but if your chicks are inside in a controlled environment, you need to supply a little grit if you feed them treats. Some washed play sand will work.

They need to stay on chick starter/grower until point of lay. The treats should not be their main source of food. Switch to layer feed around 20 weeks or when they lay their first egg.

Okay, thanks, I do have them on medicated starter formula. just trying to get them to be a bit more friendlier to us by giving them treats! they liked the bean sprouts!

Back
Top Bottom