Another rescue looking red raw

LoveMyGurls

Chirping
Oct 10, 2021
UK
So my son brought back another little rescue last night from the chicken farm. She didn't want to go in with the others as she was scared. What a state she is in. I've got her in a cage on her own at the moment but will let her roam the garden later so my other chickens and her can get to know each other with no way of more harm coming to her. I have a feeling this one is going to take a long time to introduce. Tuelow and Chapel still don't like Lucky that much so I'm hoping Lucky and this one that has been named Mary will twin up and be friends. :)

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-19 at 11.44.42 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
It's distressing isn't it.
I've recently started looking after 23 Ex Batts and rescues in the UK, none of which I'm happy to say have so few feathers in their backs.
It may be encouraging to know that feather plucking and pecking bare skin has not been an issue. This could be because they are all of a similar state.

Not sure if it is the lighting,,,,,, but your chicken seems to have GOLDEN FEATHERS. :love
Not sure if you can get Blukote in the UK, But if you can,,, I suggest using it on the exposed flesh..

:hugsfor rescuing hen....

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

You can make homemade blukote. Mix honey, lavender essential oil and blue food colouring together. It works the sameđź‘Ť
I've never heard of this stuff and why do you have blue food colouring in it? I've had to cage her today. She is very very small and my two big girls picked on her so much she managed to escape out into the front through this tiny gap and nearly got caught by a cat. Ended up in some bushes and it took five of us to get her. She's very very vicious. I've never dealt with a hen that not just pecks but grabs skin and pulls it as hard as she can and won't let go.

She's distressed and in a far worse state than the photo shows. all of her stomach is bald and her neck is too. She is sore and holding one leg up a lot. I've got her in my dining room and keep talking to her and feeding her treats from out of my fridge. She needs to know she has one friend in this world.

Bless you for taking in this little one. Here's hoping Lucky and Mary will become buddies.

It's distressing isn't it.
I've recently started looking after 23 Ex Batts and rescues in the UK, none of which I'm happy to say have so few feathers in their backs.
It may be encouraging to know that feather plucking and pecking bare skin has not been an issue. This could be because they are all of a similar state.
Yes, I hope they become friends too as Lucky isn't like that much either by Tuelow or Chapel. Little so and so's :he

Good for you on the ex bat hens. I thought that had been outlawed a couple of years or so back now? Mind you, our barn system is disgusting and they're getting away with having that many chickens they are dying and scrabbling over each other. Disgusting!!!! It makes me so cross. I live near a load and the smell from them is shocking!!!

I've never heard of this stuff and why do you have blue food colouring in it? I've had to cage her today. She is very very small and my two big girls picked on her so much she managed to escape out into the front through this tiny gap and nearly got caught by a cat. Ended up in some bushes and it took five of us to get her. She's very very vicious. I've never dealt with a hen that not just pecks but grabs skin and pulls it as hard as she can and won't let go.

She's distressed and in a far worse state than the photo shows. all of her stomach is bald and her neck is too. She is sore and holding one leg up a lot. I've got her in my dining room and keep talking to her and feeding her treats from out of my fridge. She needs to know she has one friend in this world.
I believe it is blue to deter pecking, and helps with bacteria.
She is vey scared. Try grapes cut into small pieces, or some watermelon to win her over. Just remember give it to her randomly, or when she doesn’t peck you, because we don’t want her to think pecking is good.

I believe it is blue to deter pecking, and helps with bacteria.
She is vey scared. Try grapes cut into small pieces, or some watermelon to win her over. Just remember give it to her randomly, or when she doesn’t peck you, because we don’t want her to think pecking is good.
She should be called Emu... she's nice when she wants something and all of a sudden pecks and pulls and she has such a large beak for her tiny size. I'm not sure if you ever watched Rod and Emu? Youtube it and that is what Mary is like! She is Emu! She's very protective of the massive eggs she produces. She tries to wrap them up in the towel. She's a funny little thing but I've had to keep her away for now from the other chickens and when she gets cold she comes calling at the back door and asks to come in. I'll remember the grapes and water melon. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom