Another roo ratio question...

jessied1227

Songster
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
East Brady, PA
Okay, from what I've read in other topics, it seems the acceptable ratio for roos to hens is anywhere from 1 roo to 6-8 hens to 1 roo to 7-11 hens.

We currently have 13 girls, all about 4 weeks old, and will be adding 12 more in two weeks, plus a rooster.

So, that will put us at 25 hens, and one rooster. Is one enough or will the poor guy run himself simple?

Thanks-
Jessica

Jessied.....is there a reason for the roo? Are you wanting to let them hatch out on thier own or are you wanting to incubate them? With so many hens, and only one roo, there will be no way to know which eggs are fertile. If you are wanting fertile eggs....you might have to either get another roo....or penn the roo with just a handfull of hens for 3 or 4 weeks before you are wanting fertile eggs. Hope this helps!

Jessica, One roo can service 10 to 12 hens with no problem. My roo is taking care of 14 hens with no problem at all. If you need to have 100% of the eggs fertile, then 25 hens might be too many for that to happen.

If your new chicks are day old peeps, keep in mind that sexing is only around 90% correct, so you could end up with another roo, even though you ordered pullets.

Don't worry about the roo killing himself trying to service all the hens. He doesn't keep track of who is next or last, however he will have favorites.

If fertile eggs isn't a concern, then one roo will be happy boy and the hens will be under less stress also.

bigzio

Well, we were wanting to have (some) fertile eggs to increase our numbers, so I guess we would have to just pen up a handful of girls with him, huh?

We were wanting to let our chickens free range, as we have 13 acres, but there have been two turkey buzzards take a shot at our puppy (!!!!) in tha last week, so I'm afraid that won't be possible. We'll just build 2 covered runs instead of 1.

So, it would just be a matter of leaving a few girls in with him once and again in the spring for a few weeks, then? I'm very new to chickens, so forgive me if these are silly questions, but will the roo accept any female put in to pen with him or will it have to be the same girls in with him all the time?

I'm not looking to incubate them myself...yet.
smile.png
Eventually, once I can talk the hubby into it, I'll get myself an incubator and we'll go from there.

Thanks-
Jessica

Back
Top Bottom