Another rooster to hen ratio and set-up question - please!

Kelly G

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I inadvertantly ended up with a couple of EE roosters that I really like. He's beautiful (white) and so far (just under 30 wks old) has shown no trace of aggression. As long as he remains non-aggressive, he can stay.

chick111.jpg

I have a small set-up seperate from my main coop/run that I have used as a nursery. It's one of the 4'x4' Lowes play houses:

DSC_0030Large.jpg

Anyway, my thought is to put the roo and 4-5 girls in there with him (they can free range during the day). My questions is - is 4-5 hens too few for him?? I suppose if he's too rough with a particular hen, I could rotate her out and put in another from the big flock (the runs/coop are adjascent so no integration seems necessary)...

What are your thoughts?

I say he is GORGEOUS!!!! I think 4-5 hens would suffice. If you start to see roughness and big bare patches on the girls-then I would add a few more. Bot wow he is a stunner!!!

He's a beautiful cockerel. Try it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, make adjustments. I think this definately calls for the purchase of some EE or Ameraucana hens.
hide.gif

Yeahhhh!!! That's good news...I can be flexible - I have 20 EE hens to chose from for him, if I see 4-5 isn't enough!

Here are some of the girls I have planned for him:

...in the back ground of this photo are two white hens I have planned for him:
chick14.jpg

...and this is one of my favorites of the girls:
chick110.jpg

chick112.jpg

Back
Top Bottom