Another round of What Breed is This?

PaulRaye

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2015
Vallejo, CA
Okay time for another round of what Breed is this but before we begin I should disclose that the game is rigged. In that they are all mutts or backyard mixes for sure. I'm just looking for hints of what I might be getting as well as predictions on sex. In November of last year my little Serama hen went broody. I'm new enough to raising chickens that I'd not been through this before. I don't have a rooster so I jumped on craigslist and found a (somewhat) local person selling fertilized eggs. After work one Wednesday night I packed the kids in the car and drove an hour and a half to get 6 eggs, 4 of the eggs where brown and 2 where white. Between Dec 9 - 11th all six eggs hatched. So today 1/14 they are all a little over a month old. As additional helper there is a note that the lady selling the eggs gave me about her flock, it was late at night so I didn't get to see them for myself.

#1 This is Sunshine, I believe she(?) is a in part Sicilian Buttercup because she has the very beginnings of the split crown which I believe is unique to that bread. Maybe mixed with the Lemon Orpington Pappa? If that's true she accounts for one of the white eggs.

#2 She was the last to hatch, on the 10th Momma was done with sitting on eggs and abandoned her before she had hatched. So my wife grabbed up the egg and stuck in in her bra where she pipped and began to zip. Once mamma went to nest that night we stuck her back under and in the morning she had hatched. Her name is now Cleavage. We know she came from a brown egg. Lemon Orpington in part at least?

#3 This is Leia, after the star war character not a prediction on her being an egg layer from the hood. She is by far my favorite, the first to run over and climb right up my arm when ever I get near the little flock. She's, and I really hope she is a she, is a keeper. Notice all the brown speckles. I'm hoping for some Black Copper Maran, but there aren't any leg feathers.

#4 Luke, yes my kids are a little Star Wars crazy right now. Thinking this is a roo.

#5 Ray, again Star War but the new movie. She(?) is an Black Australorp maybe?

#6 UnNamed, thinking he is a he and again a Black Australorp maybe?

Here is the note from the egg seller.

Thanks for any and all input. We're having a lot of fun with our little brood.

Paul

I feel like #1 is right on! and if she has a buttercup comb then she is either a mix from a chicken not from the US or a Buttercup, chances are she's a buttercup~
Number two could be anything with gold, so perhaps from Orpington!
Marans arent promised to have leg feathering, so chances are she's a Maran mix or a black star mix ^^
I also vote Roo on #4
I for some reason just dont see Australorp in #5, perhaps some black star or soemthign similar mixed in, and I think #6 is a roo c:
seeing the bottom note I think your predictions are head on and I can say for sure I see no Swedish flower or Brahma in these chicks at least not yet ^^

I think they are total mixes and their parents may have been mixes for all I know. When my hen went broody I was just looking for something to put under her so my kids and I could have the experience of hatching eggs. And it was winter so the pickings where slim. Although one goal of mine was to get more winter layers so they should all have picked up that trait right?

Paul

I think they are total mixes and their parents may have been mixes for all I know. When my hen went broody I was just looking for something to put under her so my kids and I could have the experience of hatching eggs. And it was winter so the pickings where slim. Although one goal of mine was to get more winter layers so they should all have picked up that trait right?

Paul
I would say you got some good layer breeds mixed in there ^^

Most of them hatch on the same day so I'm not sure who came from the white eggs. My only guess is that #1 did because Sicilian Buttercups lay white eggs but given that she might not be a pure breed even that is uncertain. None of them look anything like a Blue Andalusian to me as the lady put in her note.

Paul

I definitely think you have some Marans mixes! Black Copper Marans actually don't have feathered legs, French Black Copper Marans do :) So you have a great chance of Marans in there! Im going with buttercup as well for #1!

Back
Top Bottom