Another Sex the Muscovy Duckling Challenge

Sosalty

Songster
7 Years
Feb 18, 2017
Northern Alabama
So, at 3 weeks looked as if we had 3 drakes and 1 duck hen due to size. They’re 7 weeks now and thinking of rehoming drakes. But now 1 is the biggest and the other 3 seem about the same size. Was I wrong? I’m going back and studying my pictures, noticing their feather growth this time around. Also the length of their fuselage, (like an airplane cab to tail wing), is pretty apparent with duckling feathers contrasting with their newly grown duck feathers. I’ve plans to drop these off at a new home tomorrow but if there’s 3 duck hens; that’s what I’m looking for in manner of duck forever pets.

My thoughts: (keep in mind I'm new to duck ownership)
1 Spats has the most yellow developing on her tail. (at 3 weeks)
2 Jank, 2nd from right, quills are least developed. White starts to appear on 2's heads.
3 Leroy, at bottom, feathers mostly cover his quills. He's becoming Luronda.
4 2's heads have speckled white, Jank's late quills and long fuselage apparent.
5 The quills of big boy Jank still show.
6 Luronda, on shore, legs about diameter of my finger. Janks' legs in water d=thumb.

What do you think? I'd love 3 personable hen ducks, yet I have the chance to rehome 'em this week.

Attachments

• (1)LittleSpats.jpg
    (1)LittleSpats.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • (2)Jank@5Weeks.jpg
    (2)[email protected]
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • (3)Leroy!Luronda6weeks.jpg
    (3)Leroy!Luronda6weeks.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 7
  • (4)MobyDuckSittingFunny.jpg
    (4)MobyDuckSittingFunny.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • (5)Jank&Harlem.jpg
    (5)Jank&Harlem.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • (6)JankTakesAswim.jpg
    (6)JankTakesAswim.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
These ducklings are too young to sex . From 8 weeks old the size difference becomes more obvious and the females may start to vocalize. You may not know for certain until 12 weeks. I say this as a muscovy MaMa. My girl Max was thought to be male but abruptly stopped growing at 8 weeks. My boy Daffy was thought to be female but continued to grow for another 6 weeks and became the largest (14lb) boy in my flock. Max had to be re-homed with my son's pekins to stop her being overmated.

My best way of deciding who is who is going by their legs. Female's legs sit closer together under their bodies to when they walk they look like they may step on their own feet. Drakes's legs sit farther apart. At 7 weeksw you might need a few more weeks to see much difference in size to compare.

Back
Top Bottom