Another sick chick

Suzannah

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Georgia
We just lost a hen two weeks ago (fine in the a.m., 6 hours later, dead), and now we have another sick one.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. RIR, between one and two years old
2) What is the behavior, exactly. a bit sluggish, not cackly like usual. Crusty ear vents (I don't know if that is what they are called. The vents on the side of th ehead. Nothing coming out, but crust, so at some point, something coming out. Laying down, staying in one place, moving slowly. This moring she has runny poo on the hind feathers. Not usual for her. Still drinking.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? two days, ish.
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation??? Don't know
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all? Layer pellets. Last human food was canned corn and asparagus. All hens ate it, and this one is the only one doing poorly. They are free range during the day.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny?
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? dusted with DE and gave yogurt. I don't have anythign else.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? We don't have a vet who will handle chickens. I want to try to help her myself.
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. Nothing unusual to see except for her pale comb.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. They are in a lean-to up against a building at night; part of it is covered, part open. They have a little hay on the ground, but mostly they are free ranging during the day.

Last edited:
Anyone? I put her in the "chicken hospital" - in a large, open dog crate in front of a fan with a little food and water with electrolytes and probiotics. I don't know what else to do. I checked her butt, and it looks totally normal. Only a little diarrhea on her hind feathers.

Hi there! I would recommend giving her some Tylan. It's a really good antibiotic, in powder form that you put in their drinking water. If she gets really bad and won't drink, you can put some in her mouth with a dropper.

I'm not sure what she has....thinking something upper respiratory maybe? (Sort of like a type of head cold, only they don't use those terms for chickens.) I truly am just guessing, but I'm thinking it's some type of infection.

I sure hope you can bring her around,

Take care and good luck,
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom