Another square foot per bird question...

tragic59

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 12, 2009
If I build a coop that is completely open to the run on one side, how do I figure out an appropriate square footage per bird?

I know the rule of thumb is 4 sq ft per bird for coop and 10 sq ft per bird, for run.

But if the coop and run are basically all one space, does that mean I need 14 square feet per bird? Or would just the 10 feet of run space per bird suffice?

Any advice?

I had to think about this before I posted!! I know what I thought when I first got mine that I could hold about 30 and my setup is a 21 long x 16 wide x 8 tall 3 sided coop (16 x 5) with the coop & run totally together. At 336 square foot I figured out with 14 sq per bird and that would be 24 birds. I probably wouldn't go any higher than that. So yes I would say 14 sq foot per bird. I would rather give them a little more room than have the problems than can go with them being too crowded!! I have 19 in mine now and it's perfect!! I'll be adding 30 birds in the next month or so but I'm also adding another 21 x 16 possibly 21 x 24 to the run!!

Good Luck!!
Missi

I think the Rule of thumb is about 2-3 square feet per chicken inside the henhouse and 4-5 sq/ft per chicken in an outside run.
frow.gif

So I'm guess you live in a year round warm area??? The general guideline of 4 sq. ft. of indoor space per LF bird applies mostly in cases where you get seasonal winters and the chickens are confined to the coop sometimes (either by owner or chicken choice) for days at a time). However, I would still use the measurements added together, because your birds wills be happier with more space. So 14 sq. ft. sounds good.

I think of it this way.... If you have an open coop (like described) Basically you have a run with a roof over a small part of it! I like the thought of the 14sq ft per bird but in actuallity it would be the 10 sq ft per bird as a minimum. Don't get me wrong more room is better than too little!!! But the correct minimums would be the standard 4 ft per bird in the coop and the 10 ft per bird in the run. And again, basically you just have a run with a roof over a small part of it. so the 10 sq ft per bird would be correct. If the coop is completely open then that does away with the 4 ft option. (because they are NOT confined to one area) If the coop is completely open on one end than that area is open for use all day. This would figure into the usable area of the run! The usable area is what we are talking about here. (4 and 10 Minimums) If you have a 10x20 coop but have a 10 x10 area used for storage inside then actually you have a 10x10 coop. The reverse would also apply. if you have a 10x20 run but also have a 10x10 coop but it is completely open to the run(as mentioned) then you would actually have a 10x30! (usable area) As long as they are not confined in the coop I figure it as part of the run. Just my 2 cents. LOL

Good Luck and God Bless!

I'm going to say, always go bigger. Thought we did, wish we had gone bigger. I know the birds are fine, I just wish there was a bit more room.

Back
Top Bottom