Another turkey question.

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
So, out of my 9 eggs, I now have 6 babies. They hatched on from late Sunday 05/30 and through Tuesday morning 06/01. One egg never started, one died in shell quite late, and one hatched but, alas, died (it was crippled, couldn't walk, I believe the term is perosis).

They were "Calico Sweetgrass/Royal Palm" eggs I bought off of ebay.

They are beginning to get wing feathers. As hatchlings, they were all a pale, "butter yellow" color.

5 of the 6 are showing color variations in the growing wing feathers, shades of tans and browns. However, one of them is appears to be only solid, pale butter yellow coming in. Of course, at 7-8 days old, its' hard to really tell.

But, is it possible this one bird will be all white or pale and a solid color?

Not that it matters to me. Just curious.

That's very good for shipped eggs. I put ten shipped eggs under a hen and not one hatched. Can't blame that one on incubator skills. Of course, the person I bought them from just packaged them in newspaper.
If you're going to sell eggs at $4.00 plus shipping the least you can do is take the time and package them correctly and I really hope the golden feather member who sold me those eggs is reading this thread.

Last edited:
Well, I can tell you this -- the lady I ordered them from off of Ebay really took her time and went to a great deal of trouble packing them. It was sort of like Fort Knox getting through all of the various layers, but the eggs were perfect when I finally got to them.

And cheap, too, I guess -- was $28.50 with shipping. Order was for 6, but she sent 9.

My best hatch came from eggs just packed in crumpled newspaper who would have thought! The batch I have in the incubator now was packed great but so far out of 18 I have 6 left the rest were damaged internally from the shipping.....when they are shipped you're lucky if any hatch with the postal service

Quote:
That's the way they should be packaged. The problem with shipped eggs is not only the postal service but, a level of trust from both parties. You have to trust that the shipper handled and stored the eggs properly and the shipper has to trust that the receiver is not going to try and scam them out of more eggs by saying they were no good.
I personally would not ship eggs to someone. There are just to many unseen variables involved.
However, I'm pretty stuborn and I will probably keep trying to hatch a few shipped eggs since that is the only way I can get quality birds. I won't quit until I succeed. Of course, my wife might shoot me if I spend more money on eggs.

Quote:
Did there happen to be layers of big bubble wrap top and bottom? each egg wrapped seperate? lots of stryofoam peanuts? packed in a medium flat rate box?
smile.png

Steve

Back
Top Bottom