Another ventilation question

swampcat

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Brooklyn, CT
We built the coop when they were babies and we made high vents on each of the tall sides (excuse my lack of building terminology). Now they have taken a liking to roosting up in the eaves and I'm thinking these two vents are too drafty for them (two of my leghorns got frostbit on the tips of their ridiculously floppy combs). Should I put a board over these vents with a bit of space so that the cold air is not coming straight in but has to go up or down before entering the coop? Does anyone get what I'm trying to explain?
lol.png
Any other ideas of how to handle this?

I wonder if you could run some wire or string, to discourage them from roosting up there? Is there anything they might not like about their roost? Or do they just want to go higher?

Well I'm no expert, but i did the same I had to limit my coop to 4x6 with a inside ceiling of 32 " so i didnt have much choice I ended up with 1 3x10" vent on the end and 2 10x10"vents on the front wall. inside i built a baffle to redirect any wind away from the roost. both the bottom (2x10") and the top (2x14") are open.

you can see the coop here. i also have a power outlet hidden with the timer for the rope light behind one of the baffles...

https://picasaweb.google.com/o8fuscated/Chickens?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Last edited:
Around these parts many homes have hurrican shutters...shutters that hinge at the top of the window and when open allow air to circulate up and into the windows but close down in bad weather. Something like that would break the force of the wind but allow for ventilation I would think.

I am wondering how many chickens you have and how big is your coop? Many times they will get frost bite because there is too much condinsation from too many chickens and/or not enough ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom