Another Wanting to Make HomeMade feed for Chickens Question

Fertrell posts recipes using their supplements. Included is a "pullet grower." For a broiler grower, I think it would be best to stick with the chick starter.

I'm not sure how well the supplement keeps but imagine that there's little problem there. For the typical BYC keeper, throwing together 2,000 pounds of feed would be a problem (or having a mill mix it for you). But perhaps, coming up with some percentage of that would be reasonable for some.

I don't see why there isn't a special supplement available made for "choice feeding" of whole grains for those of us who would like to go that route.

You could use a 28% protein poultry feed as the supplement but I doubt if you'd get the same amount of vitamins and minerals as found in something specifically made to be used with whole grain feeding. It would probably be okay to feed that way but only if the hens had good ranging conditions so that they could find what they need outdoors, on their own.

Steve

I feed mine a combination of game bird feed(I have a mixed flock), fresh alfalfa and darn near anything the kids dont eat:lol:

Back
Top Bottom