Another - What's His Breed? thread

I don't think hes a WH. theres no pattern. definitely some blue dilution gene somewhere in there though.

amiga: theres silver phase and gold phase welsh harlequins. gold phase express the brown dilution gene and silvers do not.

Last edited:
His head color and body color sure look very Buff! What about the neck ring? I'm reckoning he's either a mutt (most likely) or some very unusual breed for these parts. Thanks, everyone, it's fun to try to sort it out a little bit.

This year has been all runners all the time for me, so now, to step back and learn a bit more about the other breeds is refreshing.

He's not a Buff Orpington or a Welsh Harlequin. He doesn't look like a Saxony either. I have all three breeds here.

I have a drake that looks just like him that is a Rouen cross. When I did some research I came up with a few Rouens that looked like him that were called Pastels.

Here are some (not too great) pictures of my guy:

rouen1.jpg

rouen2.jpg

Edit: The Buff Orpingtons aren't supposed to have any blue shades in them. They have a lovely dark head and a buff body - but everything's still a shade of brown. I just saw that someone posted the FeatherSite pictures and thought I should clarify without just spouting out nonsense
smile.png

Last edited:
Hmmm.

I wish I could get an image that conveys his body color.

Omniskies, his head is brown-gray, not a green or black iridescent as I've noticed in some drakes. Is that a clue? His feet are that orange shown of the Rouen, though.

desertdarlene,

Neat photo of that runner drake! He has the same foot color, I think, as our foundling.

The first contact I had by phone indicated he might be part runner. Perhaps that was just to lure me in . . . . . he doesn't have the runner body type at all, but he appears to be full grown and weighing in at around five pounds, so a smaller breed, certainly.

Brownish-grayish head, dark blue-green on the wing (can't remember the right word), brown bib but very light over most of the rest of his body, definite white neck ring, bright orange feet.

A mix, yeah. Here's hoping he adapts well to his new home and multi-species family.

Quote:
Thanks! He was dropped off with two others last year about three or four months after Easter. The black and white one behind him was one of the ones he was dropped off with.

Back
Top Bottom