Ant idea what she could be?

MamaHenMyers

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
I hatched this beaty from a barnyard mix of eggs I picked up, the woman has a bit of everything. I'm leaning towards Silky x Phoenix but would love to hear others thoughts.
IMG_3028.jpg

5 toe that's what led me to Silky but no feathering. Also a bit on the smaller side but not bantam small. For size reference she's 10 weeks in the pic.

Okay, I think the 5th toes are enough to confirm it's a silkie cross. Phoenix is a good a guess as any for its other parent, but could be many things. Could be a mix of birds that are already mixed, too. It is definitely a cockerel.

Really? I was convinced it was a hen. How can you tell? I'm just curious because if that true I'm super excited he's about to have a whole lot of babies in his future lol

Really? I was convinced it was a hen. How can you tell? I'm just curious because if that true I'm super excited he's about to have a whole lot of babies in his future lol
The comb is big for 10 weeks, but the main thing is the patchy coloring on his back. The deep red patches on his shoulders are the biggest giveaway. He will be a very beautiful rooster, no doubt about it.

Good point. Though I think silkie was used in the making. Or it could be a mosaic back cross to a silkie. But you're right, it does make it harder for it to be a "pure" mosaic
Whatever it is the chances of it being pure anything are slim the woman I got the eggs from has a huge mixed flock I doubt she even knows all the breeds she has lol

Back
Top Bottom