Anti-bark collars anyone?

LOL Funny posts!

We have one of those expensive, fancy remote controlled training collars for our dogs. Course, you have to be listening - but is has worked for our dogs. Our JRT sometimes forgets his manners and all we have to do is put the uncharged collar ON HIM and he settles right down.

I think it's as humane as you make it. If you use it out of anger, it's inhumane. If you use it intending to train in sessions and calmly, it would not be.

Quote:
I can't get angry with my critters and the SO tells me that's half my problem. He tells me to put a knot on the brainless border collie's head (not literally, but you get my drift) and he will stop jumping on me/knocking me down/being psychotic, etc. The collar is like our last ditch effort. I really love the dog and don't want to re-home him. It's just the barking that's hard on me. I'm slowly teaching him that mommies aren't for jumping on by just drawing my knee up and putting it in his chest whenever he tries to jump on me.

ah, tough love
big_smile.png

where i keep my horse one of the dogs barks her frickin' head off nonstop. (german short haired pointer) out of the 4 resident dogs Lily gets the barking collar.
i have to admit i get satisfaction out of this scenario:

i'm cleaning stalls and Lily is 5 feet away barking at full volume at me. i'm screaming at her to shut up and chasing her from the concrete echoing stall with the apple picker.
the volume in general reaches a fever pitch and then ...
ZZAAAPPPP!!!
"yipe yipe yipe" as she runs from the stall and i'm grinning from ear to ear pumping my fist in victory.

i personally LOVE that barking collar. i love Lily too, really she's a good dog, but man when she gets on a barking streak it'll send mother theresa over the edge.

i've also knocked the wind out of my own dog soooo many times teaching her not to jump on people. she's an 80 pound lab and would knock you over, so i knee'd her in the chest countless times.
now she no longer jumps on people and if some clueless friend pats their chest to ask her to jump on them she runs in terror.

The citronella bark collars work well, a couple of my PBGVs get carried away at times, esp when "grandpaw" comes over, all I have to do is show it to my boy and he shuts up now. I got it for a great deal on e bay I think it was 25 bucks.

Quote:
No offense, my best elderly friend is owned by a Jack Russell and I think he's awesome, but I wasn't aware of anything short of a straight jacket and PCP in massive doses that could slow down a JRT! Those dogs are wired!

We have a 8mo.old puppy that is half boarder collie, 1/4 shepard,1/4 boxer. He sleeps outside in his pen we call Stalag K-9. He barks a lot sometimes, we have cayotes, and many other predators around. We shut our door so we can't hear him if it gets too bad. I don't want him to not bark as he is warning that something that does not belong is near.
No-bark collars will keep him from barking.

My mom and step-father have a fan in their room so they cannot hear the neighbors dogs barking at night. It works for them.

Monica

I have an 11 yr old Corgi who didn't bark that much until I adopted my daughter, now he's getting progressively worse. He has even taken to chasing and barking at the cats since the 2 yr old dog (who used to hold that job) isn't as physically able right now. I tried the bark collar. It worked. At first... then, after the 2nd battery replacement, only occasionally. When it did work it was temporarily effective, but when barking for several minutes didn't cause any adverse response my dog stopped paying attention to it (who wouldn't). The battery was fine, and every once in awhile he'd get shocked, but by then he knew it wasn't going to be consistent enough to deter him. I really don't want to go the route of debarking him, but I think that's probably the next step. I'm tired of having to yell over the barking to communicate with my daughter who in turn thinks I'm yelling at her................

I'm open to other suggestions since I really don't want to do the drastic deed. I'm somewhat limited in how much I can accomplish, though. It's just me trying to train the dog and the child and so frequently they need separate lessons simultaneously.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom