Antibacterial Soap?

Kirsti1217

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2020
Brown County, Indiana
What are people’s thoughts in a time like this where antibacterial soap is nowhere to be found?

I usually use antibacterial soap after being in the coop or handling chickens or collecting eggs. Just a few squirts a day so I don’t get through too much and use regular soap the rest of the time. I’m starting to run low now though and I don’t know when I’ll be able to get it again.

I agree that everyday life doesn’t require it but I’ve always thought it was needed for chicken keepers. I’m not a germaphobe, I use the deep litter method with a biannual clean and clean roosts and nests once a weekish. I do get poop on me, I’m hands on with my chickens.

Should I be worried if I can’t get hold of antibacterial? Should I change my behavior, handle chickens less, clean coop more? Just interested to hear thoughts. I also have no kids in the house and am pretty rural.

Well, most people don't care about that, and they don't think about anything when there isn't a particular soap. After all, few people understand the importance of antibacterial soap. Find somewhere cheaper and smells good; that's what they think about. Until they run into various problems, which can be from the wrong soap. I was also skeptical about soap in my childhood, and I didn't care when the soap over-dried my skin; I didn't attach any importance to it. But I've grown up, and I use sound, pure soap now. I think it's better to overpay now than to repair your skin later. What do you think?

Last edited:
Well, most people don't care about that, and they don't think about anything when there isn't a particular soap. After all, few people understand the importance of antibacterial soap. Find somewhere cheaper and smells good; that's what they think about. Until they run into various problems, which can be from the wrong soap. I was also skeptical about soap in my childhood, and I didn't care when the soap over-dried my skin; I didn't attach any importance to it. But I've grown up, and I use sound, pure soap now. I think it's better to overpay now than to repair your skin later. What do you think?
I think what I do to my hands on a daily basis isn't goign to be cured by a hypoallergenic soap. (Actually, we use one for bathing - but its for my wife, who has a skin condition. I use it too, rather than stocking two soaps in the shower).

At the outdoor shower, where I clean my eggs, and clean myself after working (wherever that may be), I use plain soap, hot water (copious amounts), oft times a scrub brush, and when needed, bleach. Store brand, no frills, not concentrated, bleach. Thankfully, its rarely needed.

Turns out, bleach is anti-bacterial. Who knew? LOL!

another "secret"? When I need an abrasive, I add a bit of oxy-clean, just a pinch, to my hands, then soap up as normal. Know what Oxy-clean and the knock offs are? Sodium percarbonate, Sodium carbonate, Surfactant. We all know what surfactants are, they are good at getting things to separate from one another, like grime or oil from hands. Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate are "washing soda" from pre-bleach days, and a products which reacts chemically to form hydrogen peroxide, which is ALSO an anti-bacterial. Again, who knew?

Oh yeah, everyone knew - until it was forgotten in favor of slick advertising, which was easier for the ignorant, leaving them free to focus on... whatever.

Back
Top Bottom