Antibiotics at Tractor Supply?

Pics
For the baytril, it is possible you are using a different dosage. Different dosages can have different time frames. I am not a vet, so there can always be reasons to provide a longer dose. I have had good success with that timeframe and dosage.

A lot of us come to BYC because we all love our ducks, chickens or whatever kind of animal we have and especially love to talk about them. Most of the people I know are tired hearing about my ducks. I even thought my loud ducks might be annoy my neighbors. We had a hawk get one of our girls a few months ago had to coop up my ducks for a while. Found out my neighbors were wondering where our ducks were and were missing them.

I'm so sorry a hawk got one of your girls, but that is sweet about your neighbors! I'm glad mine aren't too loud, though most of my neighbors are relatives. I did worry about my roosters, but as you may have read, I don't have any anymore. Ugh. But I know my friends and family do not share my interest in my animals. I'm actually back in school studying agriculture, so at least I have that outlet now, and have talked several people's heads off here too!

Anyway, Miss Junie is doing well this morning. She's still putting her weight on her foot, and she seems to be over her broodiness and is hanging out with Franklin again and quacking for food at the living room door. I almost don't even want to put them back outside after what happened with my rooster. My ducks are actually more exposed to the outdoors at night, but my uncle who used to do construction built most of their pen, and I'd live in it if I had to. It's very nice and it would be super difficult for anything to get after them.

I do appreciate your help with the medication, and I'm sure it's fine! Like I said in another post above, I am just going to keep an eye on her for the next few weeks. If she doesn't seem to get worse, I'm going to let her be. If she does start limping badly again or seems out of sorts, I'll start working on trying to find a vet again.

Oh, SeaSea47, you are just having the worst time of it! I am so sorry about your Hamburg. You must be just crushed.

I guess I've been "lucky" that I could always figure out what went wrong -- like NOT closing a coop door or allowing ducks to roam outside the sight line of the house. But, you are trying your best to keep your babies safe, so don't beat yourself up.

Do my Cochin Bantams have attitudes? Let me tell you how much. As you know, Billy Boy, a Blue Cochin Bantam, thinks he is the chicken king. However, my mature Cochin Bantam girls have no interest in him. Sally is a Barred CB with one bad leg; she hops more than she walks. And, she always rebuffs his romantic efforts, running his fluffy butt under the coop every time.

Sally's "sibling," a Red Frizzle CB that I got with her, is Gabby. She is less fierce than Sally but sounds like the chicken version of Eeyore. Gabby always registers her displeasure at missing out on treats with a loud, dramatic and depressed-sounding "Why?"

Maxie is my Blue Cochin Bantam girl. She just turned a year old and has terribly crooked toes and an odd gait. But, she's a happy little girl who lays the cutest little eggs and always looks to see if I have treats.

My full-sized Cochins -- Isabel (a buff), Ophelia and Ursula (partridge) all have a fair amount of attitude and refuse to believe that I can't produce treats out of thin air. If I feel someone pecking me on the back when I'm working or flying onto my head when I'm kneeling down, I can be pretty sure it's one of the I.O.U. girls.

My Cochins -- big and small -- have always done okay in the heat. My bigger concern was how a little frizzle would do in extreme cold. Turns out the answer is: just fine.

Well, I am absolutely devastated this morning. After something got my Cochin last week (we presume a raccoon because one has been terrorizing my neighbor's cats), my dad and I went to great lengths to make sure my Hamburg's little coop was predator-proof. I drilled in the doors except one, and that one had cement blocks stacked in front of it at night, which were unmoved. I had many obstacles around it to prevent it from digging under, and it was covered in 1/2-inch hardware cloth. There is absolutely no sign of entry at all, but we found him decapitated this morning. I have a camera I keep meaning to set up, and I hate that I didn't have it because we are totally puzzled.

So, now I am rooster-less, and I loved that little guy. I feel so awful. I know the Cochin was 100% my fault because I missed a potential point of entry, but I am so stumped as to how anything got into this one. I'm just not having the best month with my birds.
I am so sorry about Hamburg. I am sorry things are not going well for you right now. :hugs

It might be worth posting some pictures of your coop setup and see if others can see security risks you missed.

Anyway, Miss Junie is doing well this morning. She's still putting her weight on her foot, and she seems to be over her broodiness and is hanging out with Franklin again and quacking for food at the living room door. I almost don't even want to put them back outside after what happened with my rooster. My ducks are actually more exposed to the outdoors at night, but my uncle who used to do construction built most of their pen, and I'd live in it if I had to. It's very nice and it would be super difficult for anything to get after them.
That is good she is feeling better. There is nothing wrong with keeping her in a little bit longer. One of my runners has a slipped tendon, and almost seemed healed, but she quickly deteriorated when I put her back with the flock. I brought her back in. She will be going back it soon, but she will no longer free range with the others. Letting her rest for a really long time has helped a ton. She can almost walk normal again after months of healing. So there is nothing wrong with taking things slow.

I am so sorry about Hamburg. I am sorry things are not going well for you right now. :hugs

It might be worth posting some pictures of your coop setup and see if others can see security risks you missed.

That is good she is feeling better. There is nothing wrong with keeping her in a little bit longer. One of my runners has a slipped tendon, and almost seemed healed, but she quickly deteriorated when I put her back with the flock. I brought her back in. She will be going back it soon, but she will no longer free range with the others. Letting her rest for a really long time has helped a ton. She can almost walk normal again after months of healing. So there is nothing wrong with taking things slow.

Thank you. We've already dismantled the set-up though, trying to figure it out ourselves. Someone in a chicken group I'm in suggested a weasel, but I've never seen one around here and am not even sure we have them. It had to either be a raccoon or a human, I think. Part of the roof on my duck pen is chain link fence, so a weasel could easily get into it if that's the case but it would have had to work to get in with the rooster. Our main predators in the past have been fox/coyote/hawks, and I know we have a lot of raccoons around, so we built that duck pen with all of that in mind. Otherwise, you have to have a key to get into their pen or dig under from about 3 feet out. Same with my chicken hens - they sleep in a 10x16 storage building and both doors to it are locked with a key every night, so unless something can pry the doors open... And the windows are double covered with hardware cloth.

Anyway, I decided to keep June in for another week or so because of the predator situation, but I think Franklin is getting on her nerves. I may have to separate them again with a little partition, but she has a ton of hiding places and does not hesitate to bite and go back after him if he's annoying her. 🤣 Your story about your girl deteriorating once she back outside has me wanting to keep her in a bit longer too.

She seems to be doing okay otherwise. She laid down a lot yesterday, but we're in the 90s and my outside birds were all laying down a lot too. She's also been pretty standoffish with me, but I think some of that has to do with her going broody. I'm not sure if ducks are like chickens, but when I finally break a broody chicken, she can have more attitude than a mean rooster. She's not limping anymore, so that's better than where we started for sure. She does stumble a little bit, but I'm sure that leg is weak either way.

Oh, SeaSea47, you are just having the worst time of it! I am so sorry about your Hamburg. You must be just crushed.

I guess I've been "lucky" that I could always figure out what went wrong -- like NOT closing a coop door or allowing ducks to roam outside the sight line of the house. But, you are trying your best to keep your babies safe, so don't beat yourself up.

Do my Cochin Bantams have attitudes? Let me tell you how much. As you know, Billy Boy, a Blue Cochin Bantam, thinks he is the chicken king. However, my mature Cochin Bantam girls have no interest in him. Sally is a Barred CB with one bad leg; she hops more than she walks. And, she always rebuffs his romantic efforts, running his fluffy butt under the coop every time.

Sally's "sibling," a Red Frizzle CB that I got with her, is Gabby. She is less fierce than Sally but sounds like the chicken version of Eeyore. Gabby always registers her displeasure at missing out on treats with a loud, dramatic and depressed-sounding "Why?"

Maxie is my Blue Cochin Bantam girl. She just turned a year old and has terribly crooked toes and an odd gait. But, she's a happy little girl who lays the cutest little eggs and always looks to see if I have treats.

My full-sized Cochins -- Isabel (a buff), Ophelia and Ursula (partridge) all have a fair amount of attitude and refuse to believe that I can't produce treats out of thin air. If I feel someone pecking me on the back when I'm working or flying onto my head when I'm kneeling down, I can be pretty sure it's one of the I.O.U. girls.

My Cochins -- big and small -- have always done okay in the heat. My bigger concern was how a little frizzle would do in extreme cold. Turns out the answer is: just fine.
Thank you. I do feel absolutely terrible about the Hamburg. He was my little buddy. The only predator problems I've had in the past are hawks/fox/coyotes, so that's what I have in my head when predator-proofing. Whatever we have now is outsmarting me for sure.

Your flock sounds like it has a ton of personality! Do you only have Cochins? My three big Cochin girls - Esther, Dixie, and Delta - are the exact same way. They seem to think I grow treats in my pockets. Esther especially will hang around me all day, just waiting for something. And if I'm working in the garden, she expects me to dig up worms for her, and if any of the other girls get close, she'll tell them where they can go. They have such fun personalities though. I really enjoy them. We're having another day in the 90s today, so I'm about to go check on them and freshen up their water. I don't know how hot it gets where you are, but we can get up to 100, so I'm thinking about adding a fan to their run during the day.

I have plenty of other breeds; I've just had a soft spot for Cochins for years. Your Esther sounds like my Bronwyn. She's a Speckled Sussex who "helps" me with projects. If I move something in the yard, she's the first one to check underneath for earthworms. If I'm cleaning coops, she wants to scratch around in the just-piled-up stuff before I can get it into a bucket. When I'm looking at nest boxes for eggs, Bronwyn wants to look, too.

This week, Billy Boy decided to be a jerk, and I was holding him down on the ground. Just as I was about to let him go, Bronwyn came up and pecked him on the head several times. I guess no one messes with her mom!

All of the chickens like to line up at the back door and wait for me to toss grapes. They often lie in wait for me to come out, and if I'm outside already, they just make a barricade on the welcome mat to remind me that they want treats.

Sorry about the heat today. Ninety-degree days aren't unusual here, but we generally only break 100 once or twice a summer. I put a small solar fan in the newest coop last year, and I have a couple of big box fans (that I snagged at an auction for $3 each) out in the yard for the poultry.

Today is a lovely 70-something -- and I need to get outside and prune lilac bushes.

I have plenty of other breeds; I've just had a soft spot for Cochins for years. Your Esther sounds like my Bronwyn. She's a Speckled Sussex who "helps" me with projects. If I move something in the yard, she's the first one to check underneath for earthworms. If I'm cleaning coops, she wants to scratch around in the just-piled-up stuff before I can get it into a bucket. When I'm looking at nest boxes for eggs, Bronwyn wants to look, too.

This week, Billy Boy decided to be a jerk, and I was holding him down on the ground. Just as I was about to let him go, Bronwyn came up and pecked him on the head several times. I guess no one messes with her mom!

All of the chickens like to line up at the back door and wait for me to toss grapes. They often lie in wait for me to come out, and if I'm outside already, they just make a barricade on the welcome mat to remind me that they want treats.

Sorry about the heat today. Ninety-degree days aren't unusual here, but we generally only break 100 once or twice a summer. I put a small solar fan in the newest coop last year, and I have a couple of big box fans (that I snagged at an auction for $3 each) out in the yard for the poultry.

Today is a lovely 70-something -- and I need to get outside and prune lilac bushes.
Yep, that sounds a lot like Esther. That's so funny that she went after Billy. I was actually going to get some Speckled Sussex chicks a few weeks ago but between my duck's injured foot, my drake who still needs to move back outside, and my rooster issues, I decided not to take on any more right now. I do love the Cochins though. I also need to look into a solar fan before I start running electric cords out there!

We are back to 82 today. I actually decided to put my girl with the foot injury back outside today because I think she may be okay-ish now (she's walking and running totally normally), but I injured my knee tripping over a rock, and I'm not sure I'm up for catching her and bringing her back if they don't accept her back, so she may get a couple of more days inside. One day we will all be injury free! 😂

My cat has got attacked by something yesterday I’m not sure what but this is his leg and it’s hot and swollen and he’s limping.

Back
Top Bottom