Antibiotics at Tractor Supply?

Well, she is definitely broody. 🙄 She spent half the day building a nest and has only moved from it to eat and bathe when I changed her water, and she was quite sassy when she did. Though she did run over to her corner where I pick her up like she thought I was coming out for meds, which we wrapped up yesterday. I’m gonna let her be for tonight so she’ll rest her foot some, but I’m gonna have to take those eggs tomorrow. I figure if she is feeling well enough to do that she has to do he feeling pretty good?
That sounds like she is becoming broody. If you haven't been taking her eggs, that is likely why she became broody. Even my ducks who are unlikely to go broody will if eggs are not picked up. It does sound like she has been feeling better each day. You will definitely want to take those eggs away. Not all do well going broody. Some will loose a lot of weight, because they stop eating enough.

That sounds like she is becoming broody. If you haven't been taking her eggs, that is likely why she became broody. Even my ducks who are unlikely to go broody will if eggs are not picked up. It does sound like she has been feeling better each day. You will definitely want to take those eggs away. Not all do well going broody. Some will loose a lot of weight, because they stop eating enough.
I think I mentioned that she was laying in a place I didn't notice, and I did take them away when I finally found it, but I must have missed a couple or she laid a bunch more in a short period of time. She was on the nest when I got up today, but she got up and came to the door to demand food. 🤣 I'm cleaning the eggs up, and if that doesn't help, she may go back outside tomorrow. (I actually just quit one of my jobs, so I think I'll have time to get the drake pen finished within a week or so now so he won't be alone for too long.) She still has the fluid, but it looks like it's slowly but surely getting smaller, and she's not limping at all today. As a matter of fact, she was running all over everywhere and trying to come into the house and just acting like she feels really good.

One more quick question about the medication - if she starts getting bad again, should I do another round of the antibiotics? I wasn't sure how close together or if she could have built up a resistance to them. Thanks again for all of your help!

I think I mentioned that she was laying in a place I didn't notice, and I did take them away when I finally found it, but I must have missed a couple or she laid a bunch more in a short period of time. She was on the nest when I got up today, but she got up and came to the door to demand food. 🤣 I'm cleaning the eggs up, and if that doesn't help, she may go back outside tomorrow. (I actually just quit one of my jobs, so I think I'll have time to get the drake pen finished within a week or so now so he won't be alone for too long.) She still has the fluid, but it looks like it's slowly but surely getting smaller, and she's not limping at all today. As a matter of fact, she was running all over everywhere and trying to come into the house and just acting like she feels really good.

One more quick question about the medication - if she starts getting bad again, should I do another round of the antibiotics? I wasn't sure how close together or if she could have built up a resistance to them. Thanks again for all of your help!
Well that was good she was demanding food 😂. That will be exciting for your drake and being able to be with the others again.

That is great that the pocket of fluid is still getting smaller. If she starts getting bad again, I would first check and make sure it is not just a simple injury. If the fluid comes back, a vet is probably the best at that point. You may either need a different antibiotic or something else is going on. Hopefully it won't come back and will keep getting better.

I just saw this thread and am glad to hear the poor girl is recovering. The times I've had to give oral meds to my ducks has been challenging, to say the least.

I have a goose who appeared to have an infection in her foot, and I got some Baytril from a vet. She is doing fine, and the last of the 10 days of dosing will be tomorrow.

AFTER I had started her on Baytril, I tried to look up the withdrawal period for eggs and found totally confusing contradictions -- everything from a couple of weeks to the rest of the goose's life. @Quatie,I'd be interested in finding out what you do about egg withdrawal after Baytril?

I just saw this thread and am glad to hear the poor girl is recovering. The times I've had to give oral meds to my ducks has been challenging, to say the least.

I have a goose who appeared to have an infection in her foot, and I got some Baytril from a vet. She is doing fine, and the last of the 10 days of dosing will be tomorrow.

AFTER I had started her on Baytril, I tried to look up the withdrawal period for eggs and found totally confusing contradictions -- everything from a couple of weeks to the rest of the goose's life. @Quatie,I'd be interested in finding out what you do about egg withdrawal after Baytril?
Baytril is a confusing one. I always follow 14 days of withdrawal after last day of treatment. Some do a month to be safe, but 14 days is usually long enough. Because it is not approved by the FDA for poultry, you are not suppose to sell the eggs for the rest of their life. So a vet would say lifetime withdrawal because of that.

Thanks! I imagine the geese will be done laying for the year before the two weeks is up.

Sounds a bit like what my vet told me about the dewormer she gave me for my chickens. Her official answer was that the U.S. government said two weeks on the egg withdrawal. But she also said it was the same medicine used to treat parasites in people, and she would leave it at that.

Gee, if Baytril is so powerful that you aren't "supposed" to sell the eggs for the remainder of the bird's life, wouldn't it be great if it provided lifelong protection from infection? I would gladly have inedible eggs forever if that were the case.

Thanks! I imagine the geese will be done laying for the year before the two weeks is up.

Sounds a bit like what my vet told me about the dewormer she gave me for my chickens. Her official answer was that the U.S. government said two weeks on the egg withdrawal. But she also said it was the same medicine used to treat parasites in people, and she would leave it at that.

Gee, if Baytril is so powerful that you aren't "supposed" to sell the eggs for the remainder of the bird's life, wouldn't it be great if it provided lifelong protection from infection? I would gladly have inedible eggs forever if that were the case.
So baytril has been linked with antibiotic resistant bacteria. There is a antibiotic used on humans that is in the same class of antibiotics, so they are trying to maintain its effectiveness. So it is not so much that there is still trace amounts of baytril in their eggs, which after two weeks there really isn't, but more the want to deter companies from using it on poultry. Vets still prescribe it for treatment of poultry, because it is still a very effective drug for bacterial infections and is a broad spectrum antibiotic.

I was actually researching the withdrawal period too and decided to wait about a month. Now I'm wondering if I should have done 10 days - I only did 7. Did your vet do anything else beside prescribe the meds? I hope your goose is better soon!

Well that was good she was demanding food 😂. That will be exciting for your drake and being able to be with the others again.

That is great that the pocket of fluid is still getting smaller. If she starts getting bad again, I would first check and make sure it is not just a simple injury. If the fluid comes back, a vet is probably the best at that point. You may either need a different antibiotic or something else is going on. Hopefully it won't come back and will keep getting better.

She is still walking mostly normally today (I even watched her jump straight up on something), but she is as mad as she can be because I took her eggs away. I feel so bad for her. But I think her resting on her little nest for a day or two may have helped with some of her swelling. Though, I just saw that @Callender Girl gave hers the antibiotic for 10 days, and I only did 7, so now I'm worried I should have done it a little longer.

Seven days might be fine. It was recommended to me by a vet -- NOT my avian vet -- to give the medicine for 10 days. Hope I didn't worry you unnecessarily.

When I finally was able to contact my avian vet, she also suggested an anti inflammatory. But by that time, Golly's foot wasn't swollen anymore.

And Golly always wants to KILL me when I take her eggs!

Back
Top Bottom