1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Antibiotics cause sour crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crimsonchicken, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Crimsonchicken

Crimsonchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    Hi. I have some 3+ week old silkies on antibiotic (Duramycin ) for a respiratory issue. Only a few were showing symptoms but I decided to dose the whole bunch cause I figured they had all been exposed. I've also been giving them probios powder in their food and Polyvisol. A few of them are lethargic and one has developed a squishy crop today. I bought some Bragg OACV today. How do you give the chick the vinegar while on antibiotics? We are on day 5 of the course. What should I do for the sleepy, squishy chick? I feel bad now for putting them all on antibiotics. [​IMG]. I haven't noticed a foul odor from the squishy cropped one yet.

2. Crimsonchicken

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    I'm really worried:(

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Just like antibiotics cause yeast infections in humans, such is true with other animals. The vinegar goes into the drinking water. Also offer plain yogurt as treat/snack.

4. Crimsonchicken

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    But I'm giving the Duramycin in the water. I can't put the ACV in there with the antibiotic can I? Thanks.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It shouldn't be detrimental to add the ACV with the ABT (antibiotic). It doesn't take but a couple tablespoons per gallon.

6. Crimsonchicken

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    The chicks crop emptied overnight sooooo maybe not sour crop. Im about to edit this threads title to include something about mareks and avian encephalomyelitis. I'm stumped as to what these chicks could have.

7. Crimsonchicken

Aug 16, 2011
    North Alabama
    Ok so I can't edit the title because I don't know how. Would it be ok to post another topic about the same chicks describing the exact symptoms they are experiencing so that I may get some input?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by