Antibiotics for a tiny?

Kangasox

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2015
Question - this a new one for me after several years 😅. One of my rogue broodies had a nest hatch, then abandoned it after the first hatched. My kiddo brought me an externally pipped egg with this baby in it, but not sure how long it had been pipped and left, but long enough that a fly got into the egg. It hatched Monday, Monday night I was checking its umbilical area, and found tiny maggots inside 🤢. I pulled out as many as possible, flushed with saline and vetricyn. Honestly did not think it would make it through the night. Today is Thursday, still eating and drinking, but eyes are not looking as bright eyed. Can you give a tiny like this any sort of antibiotics? I honestly can't believe its still alive, and an fully prepared to lose it, but want to try whatever I can for my kiddo.

Attachments

• 20220628_212639.jpg
    20220628_212639.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sure vet is going to be an option. I'm realistic about nature and this was not an intended hatch and not one of breeding ducks, but kids and their sweet hearts 😅.

I flushed the area to get a pic...the hole has not fully closed like it should and there is a black...scab? Something in there. I am certain I did not get all the maggots out. It just wasn't possible.

Attachments

• 20220630_095750.jpg
    20220630_095750.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sure vet is going to be an option. I'm realistic about nature and this was not an intended hatch and not one of breeding ducks, but kids and their sweet hearts 😅.

I flushed the area to get a pic...the hole has not fully closed like it should and there is a black...scab? Something in there. I am certain I did not get all the maggots out. It just wasn't possible.
If you didn't get all the maggots out antibiotics won't get them out either.

Can you put a big blob a Vaseline over this area to try and smother them out?

If you didn't get all the maggots out antibiotics won't get them out either.

Can you put a big blob a Vaseline over this area to try and smother them out?
I did that as well. It's hard to convey in pics, but the area is fully closed, so whatever is in there has got to be dead, was thinking antibiotics more to kill whatever infection the dead nastiness might cause in the abdomen.

You have done as much as you could do. I love the kanga-duckling photo

Keep flushing the healing umbilical area with saline , spray with vetricyn, and encourage the little fluffy to drink plenty and eat. If you can get nurtidrench to add to the water, that might help too

Back
Top Bottom