Antibiotics for chickens - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunbear1224, Dec 14, 2012.

1. bbred64

bbred64 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Do you guys prefer tylan 50 or 200, and how many cc do you give them

2. bbred64

bbred64 New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Tylan

3. 8fowl

8fowl New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm kinda new to the chicken community, but I know with children antibiotics are not a "cure all". My rooster has vomited and then immediately went back to eating so I figured that he just choked. But just now I realized he has diarrhea, so would you recommend antibiotics or just electrolytes. Otherwise he's acting perfectly normal.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

I would worm him with something like Safeguard or Valbazen before I tried antibiotics.

-Kathy

5. 8fowl

8fowl New Egg

Dec 2, 2013
    Kansas City, MO
    Okay, thanks!

6. navida

navida Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Elkhart, IN
    My chicken hasn't layed an egg in several weeks. Has hot to the touch of his bottom end. And loose yellowish drainage. I think has a bacterial infection from egg yoke not making an egg. I'm new to chickens so need some help. I have Metronidazole 250 mg. Which is Flagel. What would the dose be and how do I administer it?

7. navida

Apr 10, 2013
    Elkhart, IN
    I meant "HER", not his bottom.:>)

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Have you stuck your finger in her vent to check for an egg or mass?

-Kathy

9. navida

Apr 10, 2013
    Elkhart, IN
    I did today and a ton of fluids shot out of her! Then I tried again and felt something but it didn't feel like an egg. Kind of softish. But I'm new to this.:>(

Still no egg. But she's trying.:>(

10. navida

Apr 10, 2013
    Elkhart, IN
    Do I go up? or down? or straight in?....sigh.....sorry but I've never had this happen before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by