Antibiotics for ducks

Maryam.

Songster
Dec 22, 2017
Hi,
My ducks have been at a friend's house for a few weeks when i brought them back home one of them had a small bumble on her foot. I showed the picture of it to a vet ,he prescribed tetracycline ointment once a day.
On the other hand she had some signs of respiratory infection so i gave her doxycycline a month ago for 7days by doctor's order.
Again she's showing the same(ish) signs and i told that vet he prescribed doxycycline for her again!
I wanted to ask, Isn't using two antibiotics together bad for her health? I mean doxy and tetracycline are both strong, don't they endanger my duck's health?
Also I would like to hear some bumblefoot advice cause this is my first time facing it. Thanks.
(She's also a layer.)

I mean doxy and tetracycline are both strong, don't they endanger my duck's health?
If you're talking about giving doxycycline pills orally, or powder in the water, *and* tetracycline topical ointment, that is perfectly safe.

Last edited:
If you're talking about giving doxycycline pills or powder in the water, and tetracycline topical ointment, that is perfectly safe.
Thank you for your reply. It's a doxycycline syrup 5drops a day.
Is repeating the same antibiotics after just a month safe ? Doesn't it weaken her immune system?

Thank you for your reply. It's a doxycycline syrup 5drops a day.
Also is repeating the same antibiotics after just a month safe ? Doesn't it weaken her immune system?
Can you post a picture of your antibiotic syrup that shows the ingredients and the dosing directions?

Can you post a picture of your antibiotic syrup that shows the ingredients and the dosing directions?
I would but it's not written in english, so i have to translate it.
On the syrup it is written doxycycline, 3 or 4 drops directly to the mouth or 1teaspoon in 2Li of water. 7days sick duck,1day to the healthy one.

The ointment for the bumblefoot will be because typically bumblefoot lesions have no blood supply, the ducks immune system tends to wall off the infection with what ends up being dead tissue, therefore antibiotics taken orally, dont tend to get to the area of infection, as antibiotics taken orally are distributed via the blood stream.

In other words, the tetracycline taken for the respiratory infection wont help the bumble foot as they wont get to the area of infection in the foot.
And obviously topical ointment wont help with the respiatpry infection. So despite it seeming as if you are doubling up on tetracycline type antibiotics, the duck does actually need two separate treatments. Something local at site of infection to kill the bumblefoot bacteria, and given we cant put something local into their whole respiratory system, a systemic (ie oral) antibiotic to cover that.

Out of interest, could you describe the respiratory infection symptoms to me? As I have had a recurring respiatory infection with my ducks which is usually treated with oxytetracycline. No vet or anything else has been able to give me an actual name and diagnosis for it. So wondering if yours might be similar...

The ointment for the bumblefoot will be because typically bumblefoot lesions have no blood supply, the ducks immune system tends to wall off the infection with what ends up being dead tissue, therefore antibiotics taken orally, dont tend to get to the area of infection, as antibiotics taken orally are distributed via the blood stream.

In other words, the tetracycline taken for the respiratory infection wont help the bumble foot as they wont get to the area of infection in the foot.
And obviously topical ointment wont help with the respiatpry infection. So despite it seeming as if you are doubling up on tetracycline type antibiotics, the duck does actually need two separate treatments. Something local at site of infection to kill the bumblefoot bacteria, and given we cant put something local into their whole respiratory system, a systemic (ie oral) antibiotic to cover that.

Out of interest, could you describe the respiratory infection symptoms to me? As I have had a recurring respiatory infection with my ducks which is usually treated with oxytetracycline. No vet or anything else has been able to give me an actual name and diagnosis for it. So wondering if yours might be similar...
Thank you so much for your explanation, it was so helpful.
There's a hissing sound in her breathing, she's not as active as she used to be , she has diarrhea, she looks tired most of the time. These are what a (not-bird specilized) vet told me as respiratory infection symptoms.

This is a great post!
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

My little runner duck has a puncture wound from a bite on his upper hip. I don't know what bit him. Coon,fox? I can't find a vet to look at him. I have some Doxy 100mg and some amoxatabs 50mg. can anyone tell me what I should give him? He weighs about 1.2 pounds.

My little runner duck has a puncture wound from a bite on his upper hip. I don't know what bit him. Coon,fox? I can't find a vet to look at him. I have some Doxy 100mg and some amoxatabs 50mg. can anyone tell me what I should give him? He weighs about 1.2 pounds.
This is an old post, might want to start your own with a title that reflects your question to get more advice.

Back
Top Bottom