1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

antibiotics-how long until they take effect

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3cutechicks, Oct 5, 2011.

1. 3cutechicks

3cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Newbury Park, CA
    I began antibiotics yesterday for my sick Penny. A little in the water. When will I see if it is working? She is sleeping under a heat lamp in the house.

2. georgeandmildredgoose

georgeandmildredgoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    whats wrong with her?

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    typically 24 to 72 hours depending on the antibiotic, you should start to notice improvement very soon. Continue to give the entire treatment as directed even if she looks perfectly fine

4. 3cutechicks

3cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Newbury Park, CA
    Sadly she died today. [​IMG] I waited way too long to give her some. I assumed she was eggbound and kept trying to treat her for that. But now I have a life time supply of some! I don't know what was wrong with her. Only symptoms were no eggs, pasty poopy butt. Ate until this morning. She didn't have anything else visibly wrong. Got sluggish the last few days.

5. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Folks, if you don't know what is wrong with your chicken, it impossible to effectively treat your chicken.

There are many types of illnesses and infections. They require different antibiotics.
    I had a finch recently who was breathing hard. I called the vet and asked if I could buy some Erythromycin or Tetracycline at the pet store. The vet said 'no, don't do that', and asked me to bring him a poop sample and I did. He saw bacteria in the stool that could only be treated with a sulfa drug. So I bought some from him and treated the finch. She got better right away.

If I had bought the pet store antibiotic and put it in her water, it would not have worked and she would have died. I recommend having a vet that you work with. You don't have to bring the chicken in every time, but once a vet gets to know you and your flock, you can call and get directions for treating a chicken. There is no one wormer or antibiotic that will help all conditions. You have to know what is wrong first and then use the right medicine to treat it.

I am sorry for you loss! God bless you.

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    am sorry to hear that, really, I'm sure you did the best you could, its hard when they cant talk
    its even harder when there isn't any one to confer with, most dr dont treat over the phone, you are lucky to have one that will

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:And I bet that "bacteria" they saw was actually a protozoa of the cocci family thus being treated with a sulfa drug used best for it's coccidiostat properties.

If you do not know what is wrong, 95% of the time it is not a bacteria so antibiotics won't fix the issue.

8. georgeandmildredgoose

georgeandmildredgoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Gloucestershire UK
    [​IMG] so sorry about your chicken.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am so sorry for your loss.

10. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Wish it was possible to send hugs. :\\